Monday, February 16, 2009

Fun Weekend in NH

We ended up driving to Eric's on Saturday morning. Nice easy drive no traffic hangups.
The workouts on Saturday were limited to Wii Sports. The Wii Boxing is some funny stuff.
I got some good carb loading in as Eric had the Long Trail Double Bag and some IPA's in the fridge. Which went great with our pizza. :-)

Sunday I made sure I got out to do some running. The loop I drew up was about 4.5 miles. I started out thinking that I'd do 3 loops. Just keep the pace steady, the HR low and make it happen. Genine ran the first loop with me. I was feeling good and kept rolling into loop 2. Ate a GU at about 50 minutes, I didn't have any water or anything with me tho'. I did ask Genine to put something out for me so when I finish lap 2 I'd have something available. Unfortunately, towards the end of lap 2 I started to get cold and tight. I didn't see how I was going to work through this. I could only see it getting worse. So I figured I'd rather run another day. I'm plenty happy with the 9 miles. Pace... 8:20. Of course!!
Reward, some awesome steaks, sweet potatoes and of course a few IPA's.

Monday, we are back headed for home by about 10:30AM. Another easy day of driving, although there were a couple close calls.
It was a nice day out so I decided I wanted to get another 10K of running in rather than swimming. So out I go. I was feeling awfully slow for the first mile. 8:20-8:30. Really just trying to get stretched out from the 5+ hours of driving. The bit of a down hill the next mile allowed me to pick it up a bit. So once I got to the 2 mile mark I had decided I was going to push the next 4 miles up a bit. (Getting tired of this 8:20 min/mile). So I kind of decided to shoot for 7:30ish and keeping my HR under 180. I finished the 10K(ish) in 47:16 so 7:37 pace. It was a very comfortable run.

I'm starting to look forward to race season. Because I can never remember when this first 15K race is in Central Park, I took a few minutes to add a few race "countdowns" to the side of the blog. It looks like I have a month to get ready to run. Maybe I should see about running the park once before the race? Everyone keeps saying hills, but I think that what I've been practicing on for hills, they aren't going to be an issue. Maybe it's better I don't know the course going into it. That seemed to work well for me at Tewksbury last fall.

No comments: