Monday, October 8, 2007

Slower!

Okay, people. What's going on here? I am getting heavier and slower the more I exercise lately. Obviously I am not eating right, though I have been eating healthy food for the most part; apparently just too much of it. I am so dang slow when I try to run. I am hoping that this is due in large part to the fact that I do a rapid fire crossfit-style weight routine before I run, almost every time. That means in about 15 minutes, I attempt to exhaust all my major muscle groups with my 6 movement dumbbell circuit training. I usually don't feel bad after this, but I'm thinking I am actually bad. I guess in order to determine whether this is in fact the problem, I have to run with no lifting first, and probably won't really notice unless I don't lift for at least three days. I am quite curious how this will work when I try it. I guess the good news is I'm pretty sure I am getting stronger, so whenever the Highland Games Triathlon starts, I will be sitting pretty. My muscles are sore every day, so clearly my workouts are getting them to work out of their comfort zone.

I really want to lose weight though, even more than grow muscles, so perhaps I should tone down the lifting and run longer and faster. If I maintain what I have and lose some fat, I will be quite pleased. Unfortunately, this fat is rather stubborn. It has nothing to do with the cereal I eat at midnight, so don't even bring that up!

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Are you still eligible for College Football at PSU? Not sure how those rules work. Could be a good side gig.

I personally wouldn't want to run after lifting weights but I suppose it might help with the transition from bike to run.

CSquared said...

The Highland Games Triathlon training program, once invented may have the lifting you are doing, but I would venture to say more traditional programs require less lifting, more aerobic exercise. I of course don't care as much about lifting, because despite the best form it still hurts, where I can at least bike, run or swim smarter and go farther with less energy.

I looked at your training. I am not saying you need to taper to run faster, but your theory on not lifting right before a run may help.

Your weight is probably a function of toxins built up in your body that doesn't allow your liver to properly burn fat. Lots of fiber and less wheat, soda, and/or caffine may free this up, but of course you can look forward to getting sick, especially when Fiona brings home one of those viruses that run rampid in the school districts. I can't wait for my kids to bring one home.

SJV said...

Okay, first off, my entire weight training routine takes about 15 minutes. It is not like I am spending hours pumping iron. I keep my HR elevated, usually over 150 for the entire time, so I believe it's pretty aerobic, though freakin' hard. Then I jump on the treadmill and start running immediately, trying to either run a 5k in under 30 minutes or I run with an HR of 142 for 30 minutes, whichever I am up for that day. Lately, this has been the HR runs.

I am going to try to reduce my wheat as you suggest, but I am also going to try to do the volumetric thing more effectively. I'm also going to eat more nuts. The cereal at night is often wheat, so I'm gonna try to convert that to salads, and try to reduce total calories somewhat without any hunger involved. I've already kicked up the fiber, of which I am already a big fan.

Let me try this for 3 weeks and I'll tell you how it works out. I expect the food mass alone to drop me 5 pounds. If you guys could keep on my case about it, that would probably help. I am hovering around 260 right now, even though I was at 253 when I returned from Europe. I don't think it's fat, just food mass. I would love to be under 250 by Halloween. I'm gonna run like a gazelle!