Monday, October 15, 2007

Ford Ironman World Championship

The big boy was this past Saturday in Hawaii. I knew two guys doing it. Vinnie Monseau, who I always talk about and Chad Holderbaum, who I have run into at races.

http://www.ironman.com/events/ironman/worldchampionship?show=tracker&y=2007

This link will take you to the track an athlete place. I put in Male 75 to 79. France Cokan, 76 yrs old did it in 14:55:19. Not bad for a guy who essentially has lived to the age most people would be dead by. Five guys in this group finished, five did not.

Check it out.

By the way the usual suspects finished 1 and 2 only 3.5 minutes apart. Chris McCormick, 8:15:34, and Craig Alexander 8:19:04. Looked like Mr. Alexander lost it in the run.

I don't know when it will be on TV, but you can bet the 8 month pregnant mom with diabetes, will be nosing out the 75 yr old nun with alziemhers, while the paraplegic orphan that grew up on the street and was raised by rats (that is why he swims so well) tries to finish under the time limit while pulling his 90 year old surrogate father who always wanted to do the Ironman. Man! I always cry during this part.

6 comments:

CSquared said...

NBC
2007 Ford Ironman World Championship
December 1st, 2007 4:30pm-6:00pm EST

Update so you can watch it on TV. Set the TIVO, DV Recorder, VHS Tape, Beta if got it, or other magical picture box copying device.

CSquared said...

I am real pathetic, and must feel ornery today because this comment is only to make you look at the original post and say "Wow, Craig has such interesting things to say that two people already commented". Then you find out, I am only posting comments to my own silly Post.

CSquared said...

Just to add to the fun, I have run three times since, as Shawn says couldn't hold my liquor, and I have not had any sensations like I did during the race, once again having no idea what took place that day.

I will let the comments be, honest.

Jim said...

Your synopsis of what it is like to watch the Ironman on TV, is perfect. It's a shame that people from a "somewhat normal" background that train hard are never able to complete an Ironman. I think I'll apply next year and tow my twins on a 15 foot tri-hull with no motor for the swim, I'll do the bike on a unicycle (look mom, no hands) and then run the marathon backwards in barefeet. That might work?

catmarlson said...

I'm guessing you couldn't hold your liquor because you over hydrated. It seems like many of your events this summer were quite warm, maybe this one was cool enough that your "normal" was too much?
I think I read somewhere that 2 hours before an event you should be hydrated. Small drinks from then to race time as needed.

I have to admit I don't have much interest in watching the events on TV. Football seems to be about the only sport I'm still wasting time with on TV.

CSquared said...

You need to watch some xterra stuff. Much more interesting. Broken legs, tires going flat, and blood on occasion. And I seem to be attracted to the Baseball Playoffs, even though I can't stand regular season. Of course football is king, but I find myself moving to college games more.