Saturday, October 13, 2007

Experiment complete

Okay, I executed my experiment today. I haven't run or lifted for a week, though not really on purpose. Things just worked out like that. I went to the gym for Fi's swimming lessons and I got on the treadmill as soon as I warmed up. No lifting first. So I made my 5K in 30 minutes and 40 seconds, which I think is my fastest ever, though obviously I didn't set the treadmill on fire or anything. But this is good information, as most other variables haven't changed for the good. I haven't lost any weight, I didn't eat a tremendous meal and I didn't consume any extra caffeine or anything, so I am assuming the reason I normally can't run is my lifting. This would suggest that if I would like my running to be at its fastest every time I run, I should run first and lift after. Previously, I was trying to blow through my glycogen stores by lifting first, then running to get my body to focus on burning fat for fuel. That may be working for all I know, but I haven't lost weight doing that, and I normally can't run fast, so it doesn't encourage me to do it more often. I think running first and lifting after will be more spiritually rewarding, especially since I have no real goals with lifting other than to get or stay strong, whereas I do have specific running goals.

You guys still got me by 4-6 minutes in the run alone, assuming Craig can hold his liquor, so nothing to worry about yet. Especially since I haven't practiced the bike at all except my one-mile rides to class several times a week. Maybe all those lunges and squats will pay off there. No swimming either. Somewhere in here, I'm gonna have to get serious! Six workouts per week. Two disciplines per day. Right now I'm lucky to get one. But I'm still more fit than I have been in years, so I'm pretty happy.

Time is ticking!

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

I'll be curious to find out if you find transitioning from Bike to Run similar to running after lifting.
Have you done this already? (bike to run?) Too lazy to search..

SJV said...

I've never done a really serious run after biking. I have done a few short ones to try to get the feeling of it. My hypothesis is that it will depend on the type of biking I do. If there is a lot of climbing and quadwork involved, I bet it will feel a lot like post-lifting, but if it all speedwork, it will be more of a heartrate issue. The feeling is weird, of course. No doubt about that. But when I run after lifting, it provides unusual HR effects. Like my HR will be at 145 and I will not be able to move my legs and I'll have the general feeling of exhaustion and maxing out. Yet today, I ran the whole 30 minutes between 150 and 180 and felt fine. I'm still trying to work out the details of how my body handles each type of stress. So many experiments to do.