Saturday, October 13, 2007

1 year ago

It was a year ago today that I hopped on the treadmill with the 5K Training CDs. I was probably 220-225 lbs. A half hour workout on the treadmill with a top speed of 12 min/mi was difficult (sad but true). I would have to slow the speed down to a walk often to keep moving for the time they wanted me to be "running".

Now 5k's are a "short run" and done at 8:30 race pace. My weight is just about 200. (It's time to take my diet as seriously as my training.) My training is mostly running, followed by swimming and an almost non-existent bike. (gotta get a bike plan).

The goals sure have changed a bunch since then. If anyone would have even suggested a sprint triathlon to me a year ago, I would have said "no way". Now I'm looking at Half-Marathons and International Distance Triathlon as do-able events.

It's been nice to have everyone's support along the way. It's much more fun getting ready for an event knowing you all are involved too. I can't thank you all enough.

I hope that those who can't race the Mooseman with us for whatever reason, will consider joining in on any of the other races. Or suggest a race that is of interest to you. The satisfaction of finishing is fantastic.


2008 Possible Race Schedule:

Jan: Phoenix Half Marathon
March: Zephyrhills FL Sprint Tri
May 17th: NJ Pine Barrens Sprint Tri (gotta try out the wetsuit prior to the Moose)
June: Mooseman
July: New Jersey State Triathon
August: KC Tango, WV Sprint, Splash, Dash
September: Black Bear Tri, Orono ME (U of Maine)

I'm already curious what my post a year from now will look like.

Sorry for the diary-like post. Makes for a nice journal and I hope that it shows that even starting from "couch potato" that if you start now you can be in shape for races next summer. Just in case someone out there is actually reading this.

3 comments:

SJV said...

The diary post is great. That's what this is all about. I totally agree that the past year has helped us transform ourselves and given us new goals. It's pretty cool to see the advancements over time. I'd love to do a bunch of tri events with our team next year, though the Florida one might be a stretch. I have to do the Tango and the Mooseman, though I am going to have to run a lot more before the Tango if I think I'm gonna finish that.

There is a PSU triathlon club that I was considering joining, but their meeting conflicted with my classes. Aside from the training opportunities, coaching and camraderie, they also give you free rides to all the races they run. I am hoping to find a way to get involved next semester.

If we get real serious, I am going to need more gear! Wetsuit, clipless pedals, heck, I basically need a whole new bike, new running shoes every few months, not to mention my new patented Jellyfish hand paddles and duck feet for the Tango. I guess I need a job or something.

What am I thinking? Somebody slap some sense into me!

catmarlson said...

The Maine Event is very near Jason.
The Florida Event is a few miles from my Dad's "winter place".
We should find a tri closer to PSU and see how that fits the schedule.

CSquared said...

I find this one in PA, I had thougth about it this year but too much going on.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 ::: Washingtonville, Pennsylvania: Chilli Challenge Triathlon Adventure Race (no Swim, kayak)
Bike 20 miles, Paddle 2 miles, Run 5.2 miles


Also I could add a half marathon. I'm not into the heat so much (Arizona is a little to dry for me), so I might give this one a try in January. Last year it was probably 40 degrees, but I can always hope for 5 degrees.

Sat Jan 05 2008 Run to Read Half-Marathon-MAGP Endurance Fairmont, WV.