Monday, October 22, 2007

Mountaineer, anyone?

I was looking around for another International Tri to do after the Mooseman, and Lo and behold up popped the MedExpress Mountaineer Triathlon three weeks later. The thing I like about this one, aside from not being too far away is that there is an XL3 category there (for lithe and supple athletes who tip the scales at a dainty 225 pounds or more). I looked through last year's list and there appear to be 2 other guys who did the Olympic distance and weighed enough to be in that group. So I have the bronze locked up! There were 5 XL3's all together, but some of them did the Half (impressive for the big men) and several of them are over 40 (different group, I'm not quite there yet), so the pickings are pretty slim with my preferred combination. And on top of that, I am going to be in rare form by June due to the Mooseman training, so I might as well take advantage of it and enter everything I can. Craig, are you ready to join the fray this year instead of just volunteering? You can be an XL2, unless you make it under 200. Having two triathlons in June might really force my hand with the training. I will have to hit the bricks or taste the agony of defeat (not to mention de feet). I need more motivation. Technically, I am not happy with my grad school situation right now. It's a bit too much to do, and not enough rest, almost no relaxation, and training seems excessive when homework (a.k.a. career-work) is due. I really want to train more. I prefer that over homework any day.

Anyway, since you guys were posting your race schedules, I thought I'd stick one more up there for me. This will give me three at least. If I do Craig's early duathlon, that'd be 4. Starting to stack up. Looking forward to a fun summer. I hope I don't get fat over Christmas break.

2 comments:

CSquared said...

You betcha baby! Homefield advantage with a chance to bring home some metal (medal?) with the plethra of classificatons. Under 200 I have decided may never be an option, unless 3 hour training days become the norm. So, XL2 is my game.

This triathlon is run by HFP racing. Great organization, they do a great job with volunteers. Well run. Matt I would say maybe even better than the Sprint one in Morgantown, but a lot more people on the course at once, so a little confusion can set in, I'm sure like any race.

I'll be there.

catmarlson said...

I'll make sure to look closely at the maps.
Maybe get one of those GPS turn by turn systems on my bike somehow... Just in case one of the volunteers decides to take a break when I get to the turn.