Thursday, October 25, 2007

Odd's are

Here is an article about death's in marathons. Very interesting after the bad press the Chicago Marathon got on that hot day a few weeks ago.

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071021/SPORTS/110210049/1005/SPORTS

Pretty much saying the race won't/doesn't kill you, the pre-existing heart/medical condition does. I have been at a race where a guy died and did the Waynesburg 5k the year after a guy died. One guy was in great shape, the other was getting back into shape. The first died of unrecognized heart problem due to an infection, the second died of an unrecognized heart condition, he probably should have found by going to see his doctor before he started to work out after a few years hiatus.

When I started to work out in 2005, Tamara suggested I go see the doctor. I did. He checked out my heart, did blood work, and poked around at my knees. He told me I was fine, but a guy my size might want to assure I take care of my knees.

Just a little info.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

I'd be curious to know what tests a doctor really should do to determine if you are fit enough to race.
I can't imagine just listening to your heart is enough to make that determination.

SJV said...

Right. There may be a reason it is unrecognized. I'm making the bold assumption that if I had a condition, it would have shown up already. I just don't think I will be going that much faster in the race than I do in training. I really can't. Unless I am being pursued by a lion or something, I don't think I'm be going much faster until my training does the trick.

As for the knees, what are we supposed to do? I just try to run softly (but carry a big stick?). I found today that wearing my running shoes gives me painful shins due to the forward tilt of the soles. I prefer my soccer shoes, actually. Or maybe I need flat running shoes. Knock on wood, I haven't ever had knee problems yet.

CSquared said...

A full blown stress test may show something, but my doctor told me if I was running four times a week and only felt bad for about fifteen minutes (not counting muscle fatigue) after a run that that was a pretty good stress test. He told me to worry if it started to knock me down for half a day or longer.

My only worry is that the dude that colapses in the Gatorade commercial while doing the IronMan, had an unrecognized hole in his heart, not sure if that is the technical term for his condition. It only gave him problems upon doing a full Ironman. A half Ironman, no problem. Of course most people who die in marathons, I assume don't do it at the end, it probably is some situation 50% of the way done.