Sunday, October 14, 2007

NY Marathon

One of the Tri Guys in my swim class ran the NYRR Half Marathon Grand Prix this year. He wanted to make sure he could run the NY Marathon next year. So he ran the Staten Island Half Marathon this past weekend.
I'll have to talk to him more about all the races he ran.
It seems to me if you really want to do the NY Marathon the best way is to sign up very early with a fund raising group.

This was the info I've found regarding "guaranteed entry".

Members of New York Road Runners, who completed at least nine NYRR-scored, qualifying races during the calendar year.

Those who have applied but been denied entry for the last three years in a row

Runners who meet the following qualifying time standards:
Open (Age 18-39)*
Marathon Half-Marathon
Men 2:50:00 1:21:00
Women 3:18:00 1:34:00

For the record. Although I would be amazed with myself if I could run a marathon. I don't think it's a good idea for me to even try something like this until I lose a bunch of weight. I was just curious about this "automatic qualifier" for the marathon and figured this was a good place to take my notes.

1 comment:

CSquared said...

Just so we are clear, I'm not even a woman for the qualifing time, Unless we call a half marathon 10 miles.

I'm not sure I am looking at marathons, or Full IM's. It still seems I would push my body beyond a limit I want to. I like my knees and hope to use them when I am 85.

Of course as Matt has said lose a few more pounds and I may be talking a different story.

Ever see how tough it is for an old dog to stand up with the bad hips. Just thinking out loud.