Tuesday, October 30, 2007

10 mile Run.

I'm pleased to say that I finished 10 miles. Although the last half mile my calves were locking up pretty good. Not cramping, just tight to the point of not being able to stride well. Which made it feel like going much further would be risking injury. (Temp at start of run 54, end of run 41, wearing shorts, didn't eat or drink anything during the run)
I also was interested to see that Sunday's 5 mile run at 9 min/mile HR AVG was 168.
Monday's 10 mile run at 9:30 min/mile HR/AVG was 159.
Both of these HR's are much lower than my Tango run, which I was probably between 175-185 much of the time.
I feel I'm starting to pace myself better. I think back in August I was just going too fast for "distance" running.
As for the muscles locking up at the end of the run, I think that's just a reminder I have to keep at this to be ready for Mooseman.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

That is awesome time, especially with the heart rate. My question is have you started to lose weight again, or are you holding steady. You body is definately responding.

catmarlson said...

I can't say for certain if I'm dropping weight. I feel like my range is about 5 pounds + or -.
This AM I weighed in at 197.5 I could still be somewhat dehydrated from last night's run tho'.
I keep thinking the increased mileage is going to kick the weight loss in. In addition to my trying to eat better.
After my run I ate some cottage cheese with Peaches and drank some Naked brand Protein Drink. (good stuff). About an hour after that my body was yelling at me for more calories. Very odd feeling. Ate some chicken and a bit more of the protein drink.
I'll be happy if my +/- 5 pounds centers around 195 soon.

Side note. The guy in my class that ran a ton of races this summer. 6 half marathons, a Half Iron, International.... He was commenting Friday night that he has put on 20 pounds since the half iron (Timberman in NH). It doesn't look to me that he's gained any weight at all. Yet I find it concerning how easy it is to stack on weight.

catmarlson said...

I guess that +/- 5 pounds would mean a 10 pound swing. Thats not what I meant. Above or below 200 by 2.5 pounds is what I meant to explain.