Sunday, November 30, 2008

There may be hope yet

Over this past Thanksgiving holiday weekend, I crossed a couple of milestones in my physical fitness. And I wanted to share them with you.

First milestone: I completed my first ever 5K race! Although the race came and went with very little fanfare, I can't help but think to myself, "Wow! I actually did it!" And in what what I think is a pretty respectable time. Would I like to be faster? Yes, but I am confident it will come. One step at a time...now if I can only get my lower back/hip to understand that!

Second milestone: I rode my bike by myself for the first time ever. It was a course that Matt & I ride often, so it was familiar - but it felt really good to be out there on a beautiful sunny afternoon knowing that I can do this on my own! (even though it is fun riding with Matt & Maija!) I love riding my bike! It is such a rush!

Third milestone: I swam today at the pool for 35min straight - no stopping! This is an amazing first for me. And as much as I hate to admit it...I think I may have enjoyed those 35min. It was after my planned workout (from the book that Maija has been kind enough to lend me) and I figured instead of getting out of the water, I would just swim easy until Matt & Maija were done with their workout. Well, I guess I found my inner Forest Gump and I just kept swimming. It was a smooth, steady pace. Nothing too speedy, but very steady. It felt good. I was in the "zone". The even better part is that I felt as though I could have kept going, but Matt came over to tell me they were finished. Wow! How do I recapture that feeling to be able to do it again?

Since deciding to do these races next season, I have committed to doing my very best. It feels good. However, I sometimes forget that I am the new girl on the block when it comes to training. I often times feel like Randy (Ralphie's little brother) from "A Christmas Story" - always running behind the rest of the kids yelling, "Wait up, guys! Waaaiit uuup!!!". Now mind you, this is only my own perception and the furthest thing from the truth. In reality, I am so fortunate to be surrounded with incredibly talented, caring and experienced people who are also committed to doing their very best. And happy to share their advice and wisdom. For that I am thankful.

So for now, I will be content to swim in the slow lane and run with my Ipod. I am getting there - little by little! And it feels so good to know that I have so many people cheering me on, especially when I may be doubting my abilities. Who knows...by the time the snow melts I may be swimming in the "middle lane" and running behind Frito...trying to keep up! Maybe there is hope for me yet!

2 comments:

m said...

Great job! You did so well in your first 5k and will soon be under 8 min pace! I didn't know you hadn't been out biking by yourself, great job on that too! I couldn't believe you were still swimming today when we were done. I bet you did over 2 miles of swimming. Keep up the good work.

CSquared said...

You found your inner Dory, "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming"