Monday, November 24, 2008

Mooseman Conflict

Alright, it has been quite a while since I last wrote anything here. This is mostly because I have nothing Tri-related to mention and we tri to stay on topic in this blog. Well, I have some news now, though it isn't very encouraging, at least from an athletic perspective. The news is that, if all goes according to plan, which has not always been known to be the case, I will not be able to do the Mooseman in 2009 because I may be returning from Africa that weekend, probably Sunday or Monday, June 7th or 8th.

In addition to that, I am hoping, though not overly hopeful, that I get accepted as a presenter at a conference in Greece, June 8th-13th, which would probably necessitate a flight directly from Kenya to Greece.

Neither of these things is set yet, though the Africa project is definitely going to happen. It's just a matter of whether I choose to go (and pay for my flight) or not. I will get free food and housing while there, so it isn't as pricey as it could be.

I really don't know what that means for me as far as my triathlons go, because if by chance I do both of these things, that will be four weeks of challenging conditions for training. I'm not sure running off the compound in Africa would be wise, and the 45-pound kettlebell puts my luggage awfully close to the 50-pound limit. Might have to do some rock-tossing and ditch-digging.

I could probably run around the island of Rhodes without hurting myself too much (except my neck from craning it to see everything), and of course the last time I traveled abroad, I lost a ton of weight, so maybe I would be better than ever when I got home.

Of course this is all totally premature, and maybe none of it will happen, but it is requiring me to wait to sign up for anything until I am more sure. I can't afford to spend the entrance fee, since I might need three grand for plane fare that month. Sheesh.

Maybe Morgantown will still work. I have to defend my "crown," right?

And of course the full Tango.

1 comment:

catmarlson said...

Come on, you know the "We Tri to Stay on Topic" is a joke. This blog is boring without all the off topic stuff.

Both of those trips sound fantastic. I hope it all works out for you.

I had always figured a repeat of the Mooseman would be questionable for both you and Craig. Just the fact it's towards the end of the school year for the kids was enough.

When I spoke to Craig this weekend we talked about Black Fly and Timberman being possible race/vacation weeks. Not sure how either of those fit your schedule. Just throwing it out there.

Defending your Morgantown crown, you had better watch you don't lose too much weight while traveling!

Of course I love how you throw "Full Tango" around as easily as you throw around a 45 pound kettlebell.