Saturday, November 22, 2008

More catching up on the week.

Wednesday:
5:45 AM track workout 24 Degrees 6x800.
The times weren’t awesome . I was glad to have done this because now I know my lungs can handle a fast, hard run at this temperature.
It was just Todd and I. We figured even if the times were slow, we were getting extra points just for showing up.
Todd wants me to come up with a goal time for a 5K one year from now. I’m going to need some advice here. I can’t even guess as to what is realistic. My brain is still telling me I should retire right now, that I’ve already peaked!



1st 800: 1:44.5 + 1:43.9 = 3:28.4 (still waking up I guess)
2nd : 1:41.3 + 1:37.9 = 3:19.2 (getting there)
3rd : 1:35.1 + 1:35.2 = 3:10.3 (have I mentioned it's 24 degrees out?)
4th : 1:36.7 + 1:35.5 = 3:12.2 (And sorta windy...)
5th : 1:32.8 + 1:38.3 = 3:11.1 (Unzipping jacket in one direction...)
6th : 1:36.9 + 1:36.3 = 3:13.2 (Zipping back up as you make the turn..)

Total mileage with wu and cd. 6.3 miles

8PM: Masters Swimming. Have to say, doing a track workout the same day as a Masters Swim might not have been a good idea. I had my concerns going in.
More work on kicking fly/free. She tells us that we are improving. I'll have to take her word on that. I'm definitely trying to work with her suggestions.
Fly w/ Pull Buoy... Not pretty...Funny maybe.
Fly... There was probably an interval. I'm not sure having a stopwatch on me at this point is going to help. :-)
Then we got to hop on the starting blocks. Can't say how good my start was but it was something new. I'm sure there is plenty I could work on there.
So after class I'm standing pool side talking with the coach. Trying to understand the fly pull. So she is guiding my arms through it once. Then I try to repeat it. Easy right? It took me a minute or two to realize that my brain was off. I had been working at doing stuff I'm not very good at for the last 90 minutes. I guess thet had exhausted me mentally. Of course it's now 9:30 or later and I've been up since 4:45, that could be a factor as well. Anyhow, once I realized how saturated my brain was, I didn't feel so badly for not being able to "get it".

Thursday: Neck and Shoulders are tight. Day off... I did go shopping with Genine for workout gear tho. :-)

Friday AM: Neck and Shoulders are feeling good. Morning Swim with Esther, Claudia and Bob. As I was doing the fly with fins. Kick 6/1 stroke. I hit the lane line with my right arm, now my neck and shoulders are really bummin'. Kick and freestyle the rest of the workout.

That afternoon, I went to my chiropractor in the city about 5 blocks from where I work. I haven't been since August. That's a long time between adjustments for me. He hit me with some electrostim up near my neck along the top of my shoulders. Then did all the adjustments afterwords. I'm always amazed at how much differently my walk feels after an adjustment. The neck and shoulders are going to take a day or so. I didn't expect it was going to be a quick fix. Everything else feels great.

No comments: