Sunday, December 2, 2007

Swim Videos

These definitely show the stroke. It doesn't seem to be helpful for proper recovery from what I can tell.
High Elbow Catch
Power Stroke
Race Pace Tempo

Now that I've looked at this training Device. I now see what this Video of Ian Thorpe is showing.
Ian Thorpe 1
Ian Thorpe 2
Ian Thorpe 3
Michael Phelps Some of the footage after the race is helpful. I'm trying to find some above water views, to see the high elbow / hand low.
Popov Video
Popov Video 2
Popov Video 3
Popov Video 4 Around the 3rd minute, is a drill where he just keeps his head up. I'll have to look into what that one is all about.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

I was noticing the great turn movement of the body of Popyavic and Thorpe. Also, it is cool to see them hold the aero position just for a second as arm is extended out in front of them.

Finally, I notice when their arm enters the water that they have there hand open. I usually close my fingers toghether thinking this will help project it easier through the water. Interesting, I will have to experiment.

Great videos for swimming

catmarlson said...

I've read quite a few forums regarding the open fingers.
Many say that it's important to have a fairly relaxed hand and that a tight cupped hand will tire/strain the arm over time. That seems to makes sense to me.
The argument regarding hydrodynamic performance seems to be inconclusive.

CSquared said...

I am all over the place commenting, but lots of thoughts today.

Video taping. Have you video taped your stroke. I was thinking taking a tripod to the pool and taping myself to get a look at it. I may need Shawn's expertise here for the best shots. Straight down the lane, and side shot are the only two I can get.

The WVU natatorium has a glass room under the water. Now that would be cool.

catmarlson said...

I would make the trip if we could get both above and below water video taping. Especially if we had a setup to see the footage immediately following the lap.