Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Energy

I was reading my Total Immersion (TI) Book last night. The whole concept is use less energy to go as fast or faster than you could before you learned to be more slippery. So, I learn this to have more energy to bike & run.

http://www.2peak.com/tools/hawaii3.php

So, how do I keep the energy to run after the bike. I told you about the big dude in the IM, Torbjorn Sindballe. He is a hammering fool on the bike. In 2005 he broke the bike portion record. Above is an article showing his output during the IM and other pros, just for run and bike. It gets complicated looking at the charts, but the paragraph under the first chart sums it up. "Going super fast on the bike is a waste of energy unless the superior speed is the result of superb aerodynamics. "

This essentially what TI is saying. It is a waste of energy to try to swim super fast unless it is the result of better aero(water) dynamics.

It's all physics for the first two stages, then hammer it home on the run, which goes back to my other comments about great bikers/great swimmers only hold their own in tri's, running is the key. This doesn't mean I won't work on the first two, it just means the bang for the buck is in learning to run fast or saving energy for the run.

By the way this is how Mr. Sindballe performed in the two Hawaii tri's he completed. Obviously he theoretically would do better in his second one, but you see he backed off the swim and bike, and got an hour better on the run.
I am looking at the buying a time trial bike. I will use the old schwinn for now, see how the bonus check works out this year and see what I can get.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

I guess I should have read Total Immersion prior to this, my swims may have gone better. The concept of anchoring your hand in front of you and pull through even. I constantly accelerate my hand through my body. The book was saying to keep constant velocity. The other point is I always try to do a S move with my arm/hand. The book is saying pull through without the S.

Based on the book I don't even need my arms or legs to go 70%. Just twist my hips and get slippery and I am movinig. I always feel like I am going 70% after first 200 yds, so this should reall speed me up. Shawn's dolphin concept is getting alot of credence. Lock my arms to my sides and keep my ankles together and start twisting my hips.

catmarlson said...

My swim coach supports the S move. The argument is you want to find still water to push against.
He also supports the acceleration, definitely through the 2nd half of the stroke.
I've noticed the best swimmers in class all seem to be able to power this the entire 90 minutes.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that I'll use the TI information to help me get hydrodynamic but I'll leave the stroke mechanics to the coach.

CSquared said...

The S seems more reasonable. The acceleration does not make as much sense. I was driving to work today and the roads were/are slick. The Rear Wheel Volvo (haven't put studded winter tires on yet) would really slip if I floored it. This also seems to be what happens when I accelerate. My hand is slipping more than gripping. When slippery as water always is acceleration kills but constant velocity keeps you moving.

The winter mode on the Volvo starts you in third gear, you really feel like the engine is reving but the wheels are barely moving. Slower acceleration makes you move easier on slippery roads.

All in effort to conserve energy.