Friday, December 14, 2007

Bikes

I was in Morgantown Wednesday for a Math Field day for Maddy, so I took a walk down to the bike shop. Had him pull the GIANT Trinity off the wall. Very cool. It is the 2008 Time Trial Bike. I also looked at the GIANT TCR. Same frame style but not a Time Trial geometry. The dude at the shop said I would be happier with a non-time trial. We were talking and he asked How good of a biker are you anyway question. I think to see if it was worth his time to show me a 1,713 Euro bike. I told him my speed in the Tri in Morgantown, and what bike I was riding. Without even a hesitation he said "Man, on this bike you could 40.23 Kph". I said no, I probably could not do that. He came right back with "You would be amazed, especially if you are cranking almost 32.19 Kph on that Schwinn." So, He is one of three things, a liar, way to optimistic, or he wants to sell me a bike at all costs. Of course he was talking me into a 959 Euro bike, so I am confused about his motives. Ultimately, he said if I came back when it wasn't raining and 3.33 degrees Celsius that I could test ride and choose the Cannondale anyways.

This all being said, I went to EBAY to try to find my dream bike. Not as easy as you would think. I did find this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-ALUMINUM-ROAD-TRI-BIKE-4-TRIATHLON-TT-AERO-ETC_W0QQitemZ150193818305QQihZ005QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know the pricing is confusing on this link. He is asking 649 Euro for the bike, so don't work too hard to convert the whole US $ thing. It comes in a box, so I am assuming some assembly may be required. Of course I don't feel complete unless I own things that need worked on, so this is brand new and needs worked on, perfect. The Ultegra components and DuraAce stuff is what has me intrigued. The frame is only Aluminum, but does have Carbon forks. I guess even if I don't like the frame, I could always move the components over to a different frame. I don't think I could buy all the parts minus the frame for this price.

We will see. I really like this whole Metric thing. Speeds look faster, my weight looks lighter, cold temperatures seem more extreme, and Tamara is going to love the prices I quote her.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

n 1981, Motobécane filed for bankruptcy, and was subsequently purchased by Yamaha and reformed in 1984 as MBK; the French company continues to make motorscooters, and has no relation to Motobecane USA, which imports bicycles from Taiwan and China, manufactured to their specification under the Motobécane trademark.

catmarlson said...

I decided I couldn't buy from ebay because I wasn't familiar enough with the bikes.
Doing the side by side test rides at the bike shop was the only way I was able to convince myself of my decision.

CSquared said...

I know what you mean. That is why I haven't done it either.

Most components are from Taiwan & China. The frames usually depend on whether they are top end or not. Even Cannondale has a few Asian built frames.