Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Running

Question for Jim or others, I think you mentioned a definitive book on running. I am looking for efficiency stuff so let me know about books on running.

I am going to use physics to win the Clydesdale division at the Mooseman, and I don't want to leave anything on the table. I figure Swimming without my hands and legs will save 30% of my energy, I have calculated by being more stream line I will increase my efficiency by 20%. So a total of 50% more savings in energy. The next calculation is I will gain about 20% by getting a Time Trial bike, and another 10% by riding my bike slower.

So this totals me to 80% more efficient. If I can squeak 20% out of the run I can quit training altogether. Based on the article I saw the other day I use less energy running fast so it appears I will have excess energy at the end with a faster time. At very most I may have to train 10% of the time I use too just to make you guys feel good about yourself or have something to talk about.

Don't pooh-who my math, I know it is sound and will not listen to you naysayers.

7 comments:

catmarlson said...

Would running any of these events backwards help your math?

CSquared said...

Backwards, I never thought about this. Essentially the Power formula says no training and watching hours of action movies while eating potato chips & soda is the only way the other cydesdales have a chance to touch me. I will be overloaded with potential Energy.

Ethanol said...

Please breathe. You need to get more oxygen to your brain. It may already be too late!

CSquared said...

Too Late!

Jim said...

Are these figures based on kilometers or miles?? :)

SJV said...

Hey, you can't steal my idea of swimming with no arms! Unless you aren't planning on chopping them off like I am.

Oh, and if that description of how other clydes are going to beat you is accurate, then I might be sitting pretty. I just bought more nachos tonight!

CSquared said...

The distances are always Km, but recently I have switched from British Horsepower to Joules in the Energy calculations, which has caused me to use my weight of 99.8 Kg. Shawn you look much better with a weight/mass of 117.93. Clydesdales in this world are only90.7.

I had contemplated taking my arms off, once again they appear to be useless & it may highlight me as a human interest (15 mins of fame). The way the guy in Total Imersion talks, our arms are useless apendages. All sports according to him start in the hips and how you twist them (That's what she said).