Sunday, March 1, 2009

Not so pretty in pink

Yesterday Matt and I went shopping to find my wetsuit. We are hoping to take advantage of the great sales currently happening out there. After much research on Matt's part (which I appreciate) we had a list of possibilities in NJ and 2 places in the city. I began by calling the 5 places in NJ that were listed as Zoot dealers online. One didn't seem to know what wetsuits were, one only rented wetsuits, 2 had only 1 or 2 in my size to try on at the store and the last was helpful, but basically only had 1 suit for me to try. So we got in the car and headed toward NYC.

We started out at Jack Rabbit as Matt had already been there during the week to scope out what they had. They had 40-60%off wetsuits. I was able to try on the Blue Seventy Synergie and the Zoot Fuzion. The Blue Seventy fit ok except for the fact that the collar was cutting into my neck making it difficult to turn my head or swallow. Not good. The Zoot actually fit quite well, but tell me this....why do manufacturers feel the need to make "women's" designed products with flowers and pastel colors on them?? Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean that I want turquoise flowers tattooed all over my wetsuit. But the kicker with this Zoot Fuzion model is the lovely "tramp stamp" on the back. What the heck?? Check it out:

So we hopped on the subway and headed up to SBR to check out some suits there. I tried on the top of the line Blue Seventy Helix, but again the neck was an issue. They also had the Zoot Zenith2 which I tried. This is the top of the line Zoot with all the panels built in (I felt like Batman), but I actually preferred the fit of the Fuzion, as it seemed more flexible to me. Not to mention the Zenith2 had PINK designs on it, so it was out of the running automatically.

Even though our little 7hr expedition into the city left us empty handed, we did not leave with empty tummies! We went to a wonderful Thai restaurant near C5, Pongsri, for dinner. It was delicious!

After we returned home, we were back on the computer. We found another Zoot model in between the 2 that I tried on. It looks promising from both a fit standpoint as well as my color/design criteria. We think we found a place near my work that I may be able to try it on. It is the Zoot Synergy. We are also going to order up a Desoto for me to try. That we can always return if necessary. And there is one more place near by that carries QR suits that I may try next weekend. I am hopeful that I will have a suit (or at least one ordered) by this time next week.

Let me just say that trying on wetsuits was very "trying". It was like a whole workout in itself with all the pulling and tugging. Not too mention it is like a sweat factory. When I pulled those things off it was running down my legs! After 2 minutes of just standing in a fitting room....really? I then found myself wondering how many other people had tried those same suits on prior to me. Gross! So Shawn, if you are looking to shed a few extra pounds, I suggest putting on your wetsuit the next time you throw those kettle bells around! And one last thing....I really expected to put on a wetsuit and feel strong and svelte. Instead I felt like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. Go figure.

9 comments:

m said...

I think that the one that has the least amount of graphics is the best looking (even though it has some pink). It is mostly black. And we all know that black means business. Don't worry, Sam McGlone wears the one with pink and she aint no girly girl. She is one tough chick.

m said...

http://www.zootsports.com/pages.php?pID=13&CDpath=1_4

Sam McGlone

GC said...

Yes, she looks awesome... very inspiring. I am especially diggin' her red hair and obsession with Starbucks!

GC said...

And yes...you got it right. black means business.

CSquared said...

I would say anything pink, definitely looks girly, regardless of who is wearing it. I actually was thinking, why is girly being used in a negative context.

esther said...

you don't like the tramp stamp...?! j/k i hear you on the wet suits.. it is hard to feel sexy in them!

GC said...

It's not that being a girly girl is a bad thing, it's just not who I am. Never have been, probably never will. There are alot of awesome women out there wearing pink and kicking butt!

CSquared said...

No, I understand pink may not have been your color, I actually am trying to make the point, we call pink girly, but when the girl in the pink tri-suit is blowing by me on the bike after starting 10 mins behind me in the swim, "girly" is not the word that comes to mind.

GC said...

I learned this past weekend that when the girl in pink cruises past you on the bike, you have just been "chicked". Nice.