Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Beannachtam na Femle Padraig!

That is Happy St. Patrick's day!  This is my birthday today.  I am not saying this to get any form of recognition, but more to give a reflection.  

Except for an occasional weekend birthday for the last 17 years, I have awaken on my birthday, to be the only person awake in my house.  It is kind of a reflection.  I think to myself who or when will the first person say "Happy Birthday".  I kind of adjust my thoughts about being a year older.  Tell myself I am it is okay, which by the way I am proud of.

This morning was a little different.  After getting ready, I was sitting down reflecting this and down the stairs came my oldest to get ready for school.  She walks right up to me and says "Happy Birthday, Daddy!" and threw her arms around me.    Also, Tamara went to a ton of trouble making cupcakes last night (which she can't eat, the wheat thing) for me to take them to work.  One guy last week told our manager to put the cupcakes on the short term plan, because he was looking forward to it.  She has done it twelve years in row.  I am touched by both acts, even a little misty eyed.

The final reflection is that I remembered my Grandma today.  She passed away last summer (92).  She would have been 93 on March 10.  Isn't it funny I didn't even remember this until my birthday.  

A goal I had at 35 was to do an international length triathlon before I was 40.  So, I did this. I am not even 40, I am 39 today, really!  I am coasting this year, with my goals complete.  Actually I think I have a whole decade, the next goal will start with something I want to do before I am 50.

Erin go Braugh!

8 comments:

catmarlson said...

"A goal I had at 35 was to do an international length triathlon before I was 40."

I think you went above and beyond that goal last season. Mooseman, Morgantown, Tango...

I'll be curious what you decide upon. Skydiving? Bungee Jumping? Or signing up for the Kona IronMan lottery every year and if you are picked... it's meant to be.

GC said...

Happy Birthday, Craig! Not only did you accomplish your triathlon goal, but got to do it with good friends & family to cheer you on. Doesn't get much better than that! Hope we are there to help you celebrate your 50yr old achievement...whatever it may be. Enjoy your day!

SJV said...

Happy Birthday!

You have done many things and you still have a year to go. I barely made it. There is one more chance coming up in April for me. My last Tri under 40. I expect the over 40's to be better.

Let's see. I am doing a half-iron in my 40th year. That's something new.

Maybe we should all sign up for Kona every year and if any of us gets picked, we all go. Whoever is the most motivated gets to have the I.D. of the lottery winner that day. I would be happy to give up my slot to any of you guys, and ring a cowbell for you. It's Hawaii, people. I don't need to race. I need to surf.

I hear you can ride a bike down the volcano too. That's my kind of bike ride.

Forget the Ironman, who's up for scheduling a Hawaiian vacation next year?

GC said...

ALOHA!! LET'S GO!!

Jim said...

Did the lottery two years ago with CJ. The application lends itself to telling a story of triumph after beating the odds of living based on cancer, amputation, etc. I've heard the market audience is more non-athletic women than any other population segment. Thus, they are looking to pick people from the "lottery" based on tear-jerker stories. The best story I have is not- being picked. I didn't come from a family of privilge by any means, but equally do not have a story that would make someone watching cry and say, " that is amazing what he has overcome". Maybe if they said, "his swimming technique is SO bad and he is so slow , I can't beleive he could finish"!!

CSquared said...

Time to lose an arm, in a tragic farm tractor accident while trying to safe a puppy while riding my bike. I have been telling you guys. The story has to be big one. Double amputee, done. Hauling your invalid kid for 16 hours on your back or in a cart, done. Cancer stories, too many to count. Doing it for a Cancer victim, almost 1 for 1 of the cancer victims.

No offense to them, but man what can my hook be?

Heh, we can all just sit back and watch Matt get better and when he qualifies without the lottery, we will just go to cheer. The cost will be the same just a lot less work. I am sure my feeling of accomplishment will be just a little less than if I did it myself.

GC said...

I suggest that we all sign up for Lavaman 2010. I don't believe there is a qualifying time for that race and we still get to go to Hawaii together. Plus it takes place on the Big Island which means.....volcanoes to ride down!

silent_scream said...

Let me be the LAST person to wish you happy birthday this year. You've achieved your goal beyond the scope, I think (at least from the POV of a non-athlete)
Mooseman in June?