Thursday, March 5, 2009

Training to beat Joey Chestnut

I am trying not to totally lose all fitness, but I may not be succeeding. It seems that I am getting some kind of vigorous activity in at least once a week, but definitely not frequently enough to make me improve or lose weight. This Sunday, I rode the stationary bike for a little over an hour, which was quite unusual, and after churning at essentially my max speed for that entire time, the following day my most painful part was? My neck. Maybe that's a good thing. Maybe my aerobic fitness isn't as bad as I think, and I just need to ramp everything up. Spring break starts tomorrow, so hopefully I can get a little exercise in, and maybe start some kind of habit. Based on recent experience, I wouldn't bet on it, but we'll see what happens.

Bassman is coming up quick.

On the bike front, I discovered a rock deeply embedded in my rear tire that is kinda scary. I'm not sure I want to race with it like that. I might have to swap the front tire to the back and buy a thinner front tire, saving me a few ounces. The 25 pounds of fat on my body might make a bigger difference though.

I checked out and test rode a Cannondale CAAD9 at the local bike store and it was great compared to my old beast, but I can't justify the cost right now. I would like to try something like that in a race sometime. Maybe I should set a weight goal. If I hit 240, I can buy the bike, or something like that. I'm not even sure if that would work. Maybe if I got the bike for free when I hit 240. Now we're talking.

I'm heading to the Y tonight, so maybe things are looking up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about Joey, worry about Dave "US Male" Goldstein who is the new Crawfish Eating Champion of the World. Joey is so 2008. Get with the times my man. 2009 is all "US Male". He always delivers.

catmarlson said...

The Bassman is definitely going to be the easiest Triathlon course you've raced. If you don't have wind on the bike course, I am guessing you will set a PR there.
No hills on the run but there is the possibility of making a wrong turn on this course, just make sure you pay close attention to the signs.

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to compete in this one. Or if I'll be the photographer for the day. I'd like to get some good shots of Genine's first "full" triathlon.
Would you be disappointed if I don't race?

SJV said...

Who would have guessed our blog would attract national eating champions. We are so well read.

Anyway, I wouldn't bet on a personal best, because I am too fat! My run is going to suffer. I will do my best to reduce this handicap in the next two months, but it's going to be tough for me. The swim and bike might be okay. We shall see. If nothing else, I'll go eat Goldstein under the table.

catmarlson said...

Guess lifing all those hotdogs is good for the biceps