Sunday, March 15, 2009

Don't underestimate ice

It would seem that I've underestimated how helpful ice can be as a training aid. The miles and hours have been getting longer. Now that I'm trying to add some speed into the workouts, there are definitely some muscles that, well.... hurt. I really don't care to take medications of any sort. So the ibuprofen post run is really not a habit I'd like to continue. So I've been icing down recently and I have to admit, I'm amazed at how effective it's been.
Sometimes I don't really feel where it's going to hurt until hours after the workout but it's usually going to be the same places week after week. At the moment I'm realizing I need to ice my left knee after a long bike. Not sure why my left side is always the problem but it is. It would probably be worth my time to borrow someone's video camera and look at my run and bike "Stride". Maybe it would become obvious as to why it's so problematic.
Until then, I will be icing much more frequently than I had in the past.

3 comments:

CSquared said...

Unbalanced hips? That is what my problem is. The Chiro is constantly readjusting my hips and my left leg feels better.

catmarlson said...

Good timing with this comment Craig. I had just left a message with my chiropractor. I should be able to get an adjustment Tuesday afternoon. I'm definitely going to have him "adjust" my left knee as well.

I got my race haircut Saturday. Race Chiropractic adjustment tomorrow... I guess I've developed a bit of a routine. I don't think I'd freak out if I missed either one of these things tho'.
Just don't mess with the troll doll riding between the aerobars!

m said...

So that's why you got your haircut...