Friday, December 19, 2008

Week Review

Week in review:
Saturday AM. Woke up late had to rush to meet Todd for our hills run. 7.3 miles of hills on 240 calories of cliff bar. Then join Esther in the pool for about 40 minutes of swimming. I started to bonk and was going to go to the locker room to see if there was a GU in my bag somewhere but she said that was the end of the set and only had the cool down. Whew!
I still need to learn to wear less for these cold runs. I was soaked at the end of the run. I have to suck it up for the first 10 minutes. I’m sure I’d be fine once I get going.
The swim bonk reminds me that I should probably have a GU ready to go at the midpoint of these hills runs. At this time of the morning, I don’t have enough nutrition to really do my best. A GU would probably help me get more out of this workout.

Sunday: Swim with Esther and Maija. I got a good 90 minutes in. Towards the end of the session I timed out a couple 100's. 1:39 and 1:40. I guess the 1:40's aren't a fluke.

Monday: Masters Swimming. Only 4 of us. I was having a great night of swimming but I started out being lazy on my turns. Once she mentioned it, I made a serious effort to try and do the open turns properly. They certainly aren’t perfect but they are less awkward feeling. She also mentioned my fly kick looks decent technically but I’m not putting any power behind it. So I’m working on making it powerful, if I’m going about it the wrong way, she will let me know next week.
The 100's on 1:35 were the highlight for me.

Tuesday: Morning 5:40 swim because Genine had a holiday party after work and would be home late. Genine left for work and Maija and I finished out the set. So I got another 1:20 in the pool.
Evening. Pull ups Push ups and abs

Wed: Slushy/ Icy morning run w/ Todd. 6.75 miles w/ 3 hill loops. I have extra vacation days left. Genine had the day off because she’s going to work Saturday, so I took the day off as well. We went to TEST to do strength training in the evening for probably 90 minutes. I hit my legs pretty hard. Leg Extensions, Leg Curls, Walking Lunges, Curtsey Lunges, Squats. Also did, Hanging Abs. Lat Pull Down. Under hand Pull down. Triceps Presses and Stretching.

Thursday: Morning Swim. Not as sore as I thought I’d be following the weight lifting. Still I started out easy long warmup with 25m kick/ 25m Swim trying to get everything going.
Then I figured I’d see how the Fly Drills would feel. Fly w/ PB. Surprisingly, this went well. Still dying just short of the wall on 25s. Bad technique is making this harder than it should be I’m sure, but it makes it a great strength builder for the time being. I then worked on fly kick w/ fins. Then put it all together with fins. Not too bad.

Friday: Didn’t get to sleep until 12:30 last night. We had a dinner party with Genine’s co-workers Thursday night. Extra credit for being at the pool at 6AM. Bob and I did some warm-ups until Maija showed up with her “SNOWMAN” Set. I did well until the 500m. My left shoulder is either very fatigued from all the workouts, or the new pull is using a new muscle group which isn’t ready to do 500s.
The 4x25 no breath w/ fins, I stayed very relaxed and made all 4 of them without much discomfort.
The 10x25’s on :30 tough on the left shoulder but I kind of enjoy the sprint workout. I need to learn to push myself a bit harder on these, or maybe pace them so that each 25 gets faster. That is how Bob does them.

My glutes and hamstrings are feeling Wednesday’s weight lifting. I wish I could have run last night to get them warmed up and stretched out a bit. It’s likely to be a snowy mess out tonight. I may end up going to the gym and running on the treadmill for 15 minutes just to stretch out before hitting the weights. Abs, back and arms should be the focus tonight.

3 comments:

esther said...

sounds like a good workout week although i am not seeing any rest days, mr! take care of that shoulder!

m said...

Listen to Esther. Or you may break your butt like her.

I do see good balance in the training (ie strength training, stretching, swimming, running) except there is not much biking...

Good swim progress though.

catmarlson said...

I agree with both of you.

It's probably time to draw up a plan so I have some structure.