Thursday, December 11, 2008

Swimming Breakthrough #2?

If you’ve been to the training spreadsheet, you’ve noticed how much time has been spent in the pool. It’s my favorite part of the triathlon and I keep hoping that it will become a strong event for me.

It’s been about 7 weeks since that coaching session which moved me from 2:00/100m to 1:50/100m. The big fix being the depth of my hand at the start of the catch. My hand depth was above my shoulder, which prevented me from getting good rotation. That fix seemed to happen quite easily.
Since that time several people, including our new coach, have told me that my stroke on the left side is “funky”. Crossing over being the most obvious problem.

Well last night I was swimming with Genine and we were just working on fixing our “problems” rather than swimming intervals or following a workout. I was giving myself lots of rest so I wouldn’t fatigue and fall into “whatever it takes to get you there” mode.
Since it would seem that my right side is doing the right thing, I was trying to focus on matching the movements with my left arm.
At first I felt that I was rotating less than I should but it actually felt more similar to the right by doing this. So I was able to let go of that thought rather quickly.
The more important part was this. I’m fairly certain I’ve got my left hand entering the water wider (away from my head). Which leads to a pull that is also away from my body. (It was kind of under it before). I think this solves the fact I would short stroke that side because my body is no longer in the way of the finish.
As I practiced this, I kept thinking of the underwater boulders, reaching over them and pulling myself forward using them as an anchor. This helped me realize how awkward my left arm pull really was when I was crossing over.

So how significant was this fix?
I may be jumping the gun with this but I’m going to write it anyhow.
This morning I did 6x100 on 2:15 (yes that’s a lot of rest).
1) 1:43
2) 1:42
3-6) 1:39-1:40

Then when Maija showed up, we did 4x75 on 1:30. I think she was a little surprised when I finished the first one a couple seconds behind her and didn’t lose too much ground on the next few. Wahoo!

Obviously I’m hoping I can keep this fix in place. I'll be curious to see how it holds up on longer distance intervals. It may take awhile for the new stroke to build up strength.

Don’t ask how the Butterfly is going ;-)

1 comment:

m said...

So how is the butterfly going?

Congrats on the big improvement!