Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Knee problems

Jerry and I are continuing on our P90X adventure. Tonight will complete one round for me. I have to say...I am enjoying it. I can certainly see how it will help. Unfortunately given the height of the basement ceilings, we aren't able to take full advantage of the workouts...pull ups are difficult, forget jumping jacks, and there's no way to jump high unless you like hitting your head on the ceiling (just ask Jerry how he cut the top of his head). Regardless, we continue on....making the most out of it. I guess we could buy a new house with higher ceiling...alas---we are too practical.

On a different note - my knees are really bothering me (the right knee more than the left). It started after the 1Tough Cookie trail run and hasn't seemed to improve. I've not been running since the Liberty Run at the end of September but it doesn't seem to be improving. There's a substantial amount of grinding when I walk up or down the stairs. Sharp pains...difficulty bending my knee when standing. There isn't any obvious swelling although there have been times when it's felt swollen/stiff. Any suggestions? Should I ice after I work out? I don't want to become an Ibuprofen addict. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated (well except that I should stop exercising...that's not an option...I'm on a mission!)

Until then....BRING IT...P90X style :)

4 comments:

catmarlson said...

Grinding... Ouch!
Dr Brook have an opinion?
I'd definitely get to a Dr to see what's up.

Mjay said...

he said--"eww lots of junk in there" Try taking glucosamine and see if that helps.

Jim said...

Does the knee lock up on you? Can you squat without pain? Can you do the duckwalk?

Certainly, icing will not hurt. I'd shoot for 1-2 times per day at about 15 min per session. Sometimes using ibuprofen to reduce inflammation is helpful without being an addict. It does take time to reduce chronic inflammation.

Mjay said...

Jim-
I can't squat without pain but I can do the duckwalk. No my knees has never locked up on me. It REALLY bothers me when I walk downstairs and have heels on. It is less bothersome when I have flats on but the pain is still there.

I will begin icing and see if that helps.