Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Swim Class

Ha. These folks are serious.

200 Swim/Drill by 25s
100 Kick
200 Pull

4x <4 x 25 Build :40
<1 x 125 Free Race 2/2:30
<1 x 75 Easy Back 2

2x <1 x 400 Free Pull 7:30/8
<2 x 100 or 75 Free Race 1:50

2x <1 x 100 Stroke Count (2)
<1 x 200 Free Race (2)
<1 x 50 Fly/ Free (1)

100 Cool Down

3700 Meters
4048 Yards

Ok. that was the workout for the night. I have no idea how much of this I got through. I'm easily the worst swimmer in the class of 8 or 9.
So they threw in the back stroke. Well remember how I said my kick was bad. Well it's worse on my back. It instantly cramped my calves so bad I had to hop out of the pool to work them out. I don't know about you but once they start you know it's going to come back.
Anyhow, some of the fixes. When I breathe in I wasn't bringing my face to my shoulder enough. Also was holding my breath too much, it would seem you shouldn't at all really. More on that later once I get it figured it out.
I've never used a pull buoy before. I can see how this can help with your rotation. Of course I had very little clue but I can see how it will help.

There you have it. It can only get get better from here.

4 comments:

CSquared said...

Okay, a 90 minute class, you did 4048 yards (rather the class did). Was this everyone but you? (please tell me one other person bailed because I would have.) Not to make you feel bad about your situation, but that would 2.3 miles with rests between the sets. That equates to 39 minute miles. That is pretty fast. I swam 300 yds in a triathlon last year, my mile pace would have been 40.5 minutes. Mind you I have swam more this year already than I did all last year and my workouts are a good 25% larger.

If you get to the point of keeping up (which I hope you do), You will have a good swim time in a triathlon.

catmarlson said...

I typed that list up right from his workout sheet that he handed us as we left. I'm guessing we get one every week. Looking back on it. I'm wondering if he skipped anything.
But nobody else dropped out. The other new guy in the class is in his 50's and he's already done a Half Iron this year and has many events on his calendar this year.
The fastest person in class I think is a girl, when we did the stroke count drill she was higher than the guys but I think her time was better. One of the guys is a Spartan and the rest are very fit. This seems to be their club. I think everyone there is a triathlete. I'm the only one with junk in the trunk.
I'm in no hurry to keep up or get fast. After day one I think my focus has to be technique, those leg cramps can't continue and the coach seemed to think it's because I'm not flexing my feet properly as I kick. Anyhow, more as I go along.

CSquared said...

I meant to mention the cramp thing earlier. I have not experienced it this year, but have had problems in past. Yes, once I get it, it is coming back.

I understand as you go this coach will help a ton. I found concentrating on kicking from the hip and giving a little flex at the knee seems to keep me from cramping.

catmarlson said...

2 days later and my calf muscles are still sore. I'm glad I didn't sign up for the 2 classes a week!