Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Motorcycle

Yesterday, I tried to get my motorcycle running for the spring. It has been sitting for a few months, as it always does in the winter. Well, as usual, it wouldn't start. So I decided to try to push-start it by pushing it down the hill in front of my house. This is sort of like trying to run while pulling a 500-pound sled. Well, it didn't work, which caused me to have to push it back up the hill. This was another innovative and challenging workout for me. I have activated yet more new muscles in this process, though I don't think I am going to make a regular practice of this exercise. In fact, this has convinced me that the thing to do is convert this thing to electricity. So...here's where our team comes in. Craig, I want you to help me figure this out. We talked a little about this last year, but it is time to put it into action. I will pay for everything. And I'm serious. I never ride this bike farther than 3 miles from my house. It is basically worthless to me because it's such a pain to get it running and I never have time to sit there working on it, and I have always wanted an electric motorcycle anyway.

I figure we can keep the chain, and just drop an electric motor of your choice into the space where the transmission is now, and weld the front sprocket from the existing transmission onto the spindle. We stick a couple of deep-cycle batteries in the big hole where the motor was, convert the throttle to a variac and we're good to go. I even have a heavy-duty variac already. What do you think?

No comments: