Thursday, April 5, 2007

Electric Vehicles

Ah! A passion I never get to do. I created a new post to give you a couple hotsport links. Your motorcycle idea, I believe is excellent. DC powered vehicles have very little that will not make them run. Usually just bad batteries. Here are some examples of motorcycles, you can poke around for other vehicles:

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/type/MTCY

Shawn's project would be a good one. If I remember it is somewhat of a small bike, but I guess we are not talking about traveling 50 miles, maybe just 20 or so before a charge would be needed. Take a look at this scooter:

http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/index.php?method=showdetails&list=advertisement&rollid=1200&fromfromlist=classifiedscategory&fromfrommethod=showhtmllist&fromfromid=19

A little out of your price range. I called and spoke to them, a while back. They take the original scooter, which could only do 20 to 25 mph, with a range of 20 - 25 miles, and make it go 30 mph with an effective range 30 to 40 miles. I believe they upgrade the batteries from a total 38 Ah (amp-hour) to 50 Ah with 48 volts. Which we all know Amp-hours is what drives the range in Electric Vehicles. This vehicle is pretty cool, because the others I have seen had to drop voltage to 24 V or 36V to get this type of range, but with the lower voltage run closer to 20 MPH.

For Shawn, I evaluated prior to this because he mentioned it to me before, we would need to get a 36 volt motor to move his carcass and any booty at let's say 20 mph. I believe the size of Shawn's bike would limit us to 36 volts. This would require 3 12Volt batteries. Each battery weighing minimum 40 lbs each. The gas engine is replaced essentially lb for lb for the new electric motor. So we would have the current weight of the bike, plus the batteries, plus Shawn. Now, using a 24 volt motor, which is probably more available, could be an option. This could reduce weight. You would only need two 12 Volt batteries, you sacrifice speed (maybe 15 mph), but would gain range if you bought slightly better batteries.

I demonstrated how this works with one of those little kids battery powered 4 wheelers. Neighbor was throwing one a way because the battery was bad and a small wiring problem. I took it, put two 12 volt sealed cell batteries in it. Worked good with the two youngest kids, but would not push poor Maddy (about 65 lbs at the time) up the hill. I determined I could take the two 12 volt batteries and wire them up 24 volt to the motor (a little hot for the motor, but it was free why do I care). Don't worry I put a fuse in-line for each battery. My mistake was I used too small of wires. Maddy jumped on, and BAM! Wheels were spinning, she was going up the hill as fast as she was going down before. Had a great time for about a half hour. Then Levi flipped it over going too fast down the hill. While I was nursing him, Maddy took it up the hill and then it stopped. It had blown a fuse, because the wires had heated up enough to melt the plastic on the outside of the wire, and two wires that should not be touching arched across each other and fused together. We went back to the slower 12 volt system after a little rewire. Also the batteries need charged because it was draining them fast.

Shawn has touched a real passion for me. But my big project for the summer is to install an earth coupled heat pump. I also have plans to wire my shed with a solar panel and an inverter. I also have plans to make an electric riding mower (Snapper, rear motor style, best choice, no variable speed switch needed, transmission already does it for you), I also want to make an electric go-cart for the kids, also train for triathlons, also work my full time job, also be involved with the kids, also try to keep a relationship with my wife, also want to buy a sail boat, also want to go camping every weekend, . . . . I digress.

Sure Shawn let's take a look. Send me a photo of the bike, so I can remember what it looks like.

2 comments:

catmarlson said...

This is a good year to do those upgrades Craig. It's not certain after 2007 if you will get the tax incentives. They are scheduled to go away.
I've found mini heat pumps which don't connect to ground water or anything but seem to be very effecient and more importantly for me. They don't require duct work. I'll dig up a link.

SJV said...

I didn't read them all, but I thought this guy had a nice description of his, and it's similar to what I envision.

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/971

I took some pics of my bike tonight. I'll send them directly to your e-mail.

Here's my feeling. I would rather be able to go 40 miles per hour and have a range of 5 miles than slower and longer. I'm on major roads with heavy traffic, so I don't want to be puttering along, but I am not on those roads very long. I'd also like to have a solar panel or two on a trickle charger on top.

Can we use a starter motor from a junked car? Those things are powerful enough to push a car in a pinch with only one battery. Is there some reason that's not viable? I'm also curious about coasting. Is there any way to do that?