Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Name Dropping

I understand name dropping for obscure, yet somewhat successful triathletes may not be to impressive, but I taped the Ironman 70.3 on Saturday, then sat down to watch it and saw someone I knew. The pro woman who took 3rd, who they highlighted a ton, because she was such a good runner and looked to be in contention for a top 3, I know, or as stated earlier, I had contact with and recognize, even though they would have no clue who I was.

Here is the story. In 2005 I showed up 6 am in the morning to volunteer for the Mountaineer half Ironman/Olympic triathlon. I had the pleasure of writing, with permanent marker on peoples bodies. Number on both arms, back calf of left leg distance (either H or O), and class (age group, pro, elite, Clydesdale, etc.) on the right leg. A cute little blond comes up. She was in shape. She starts talking and you can tell this girl isn't from America, had a distinct Australian accent. She tells me her number and I write it on her arms. She turns around, I kneel down to write distance on her left leg. She tells me Olympic, so I put a big "O" on her leg, she then says "NO, NO I am doing the Half". I say are you sure, she says yes. So the "O" becomes a smiley face, and a "H" is written below it. Next I ask her class, she looked at me strange, so I was helpful by saying you know your age. Oh! she says 23, but I believe I am in the elite class. So, I go to make a "E" on her right leg, she says "NO, NO I am a PRO!". I stop and say, "Just so I got it straight, you are here to do the Half Ironman, and you do this for a living, correct". She laughed and said absolutely. And I proceeded to put a big "P" on her right leg.

As she walked away another volunteer standing next to me said I will be surprised if she finds the finish line. To my shock not only did she find the finish line, but was the first woman to find it. The girl held her own in the swim and bike, and put the hammer down in the run. By far the fastest woman runner, 3rd fastest run overall, all contestants. Top 10 finisher in the Tri, even compared to the men. Miranda Carfrae is her name. She is still under 25, I think. If you watch any tri's you will see her again.

No comments: