Sunday, January 30, 2011

NYC Marathon, take 2.

I registered for the NYC Marathon today. I’m guaranteed a spot from the NYRR 9+1 program. So now the trick is to get to the starting line this year.

Last year I obviously over trained and under recovered in preparation for the race and injured my ankle. I think I was hoping to have a really good marathon to make up for the lack of triathlons last year. Well this year I think my marathon goal won’t be so aggressive. I have a feeling it will be a go out and have fun kind of race. (if marathons can be fun). I guess I'm also assuming my triathlons will go better than last year.


I haven’t run or biked in a week. My sinuses and lungs are still messed up which is frustrating. Very frustrating. I have done my weight lifting and I’ve been in the pool twice.

Oddly enough the swimming has been pretty fantastic in terms of technique. My swim today was 2500. The last set was 2x400. Typically the first 100 goes well then the next 300 is a sufferfest. Today I could have kept going and my balance was as good as it’s been in a long long time. It felt like I was climbing a ladder. The timing was all there. Smoooooth. I can only hope that it sticks around. I’ve been working very hard at staying relaxed and not fighting for speed. Just take what’s there and focus on the form. Efficiency and form, Timberman is a long way off, no need to be fast now.

It would be great to show up for our swim lesson and actually feel like I’m going in better than where I left off last year. That wasn’t going to be the case a month ago. It’s nice to see some progress.


I know we just bought tri bikes, but I’ve been spending quite a bit of time researching fun off road bikes. I’ll definitely be checking out 29ers at some point. Genine may end up with a mountain bike unless the women’s specific frame on a 29er is small enough. We had her stand over a 15.5” trek 29er and it was too big. The guys at the shop were explaining that at her size she may not get much of the advantages of a 29er anyhow. We will have to do a bit more digging around to see what’s out there. She’s been happy with Michelle’s Cannondale the last 2 Tangos, so as long as it’s something along that line. She will be happy.


Speaking of Tango, it's probably a good time to see what people are thinking about doing for this year's Tango. I'm still only looking to be part of a relay. With Timberman on the schedule, I'm not going to do more than 2 events at the Tango.

4 comments:

GC said...

I've been tossing around the idea of a Class of 88 co-ed Tango team this year. I figure we could go with "Venerable Companions" as our team name and maybe Thad could assign our race number to be "88". Any thoughts out there on changing it up a bit this year? (not that KB2 isn't still on my mind...just sayin')

Mjay said...

I like that idea a lot Genine!

GC said...

Cool! I'm not sure if the guys are reading regularly, so I think I'll send out an email to gather some responses. I think it could be fun!

Mjay said...

Jerry's in as well! BTW-chad is going to run the Tango solo in 2011. WOOHOO