Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The "new" bikes.

About these Cervelo P2 SLs (Aluminum):

As I had mentioned previously, I was at the bike shop a few weeks ago and was considering a 2011 P2C (carbon). I left the shop not very excited about it. I would say there are two factors involved here. The Carbon bike is likely more bike than I need at my ability and it’s hard for me to justify the cost of new carbon when I don’t consider myself a great cyclist.


I had basically put my search on hold for the holidays, until I ran into a post on a triathlon forum. Someone was selling a used P2SL in my size. So I looked into it and it just felt like the right deal. I liked the style of the bike and the price was such that I knew I was unlikely to regret my decision.


Genine has a rule tho’, if I get a bike, she gets a bike. Well I had already been talking to her about a bike that was at a shop down in the Philadelphia area. We just needed to make the trip to check it out. Being X-mas weekend, I had some time to surf the net to see what else was out there. Oddly enough, I found another P2SL from 2008 in Genine’s size that appears to be unused, with full Dura Ace components, AND it was in a color Genine would like. As it turns out, I got that bike even cheaper than my bike!

It really seems like this was just meant to be. Both P2SLs together cost less than what the 2011 P2C would have cost me.


Now we need to schedule a bike fit. I have three places in mind. I’m very tempted to have Genine go to one place and me to another. Unless we walk away from the first fitting really overly impressed.


Everyone I talk to about having finally bought a tri bike brings up the fact that I’m going to really notice a difference when I start my run. I have to say, I’m looking forward to experiencing that.


We will also have some different gear ratios. These Cervelos come with compact cranks. My current double is 53/39. Genine has a triple 52/39/30. I believe both Cervelos will have 50/34. The 50 is probably a better match for both of us. Genine is going to lose her Granny gear tho’. Also I think her new bike is going to show up with an 11-23 cassette, whereas mine is going to be a 12-26. We will likely swap those around. It will take some hill training for me to decide if I also need a 12/26 for the hills of Mooseman or Timberman.


Genine will also be on 650c wheels. It will be interesting to hear her experience there. We will have to keep track of spare tubes and tires as 650c equipment is harder to find/borrow on race day.

It does complicate matters regarding sharing a pending power meter. I suppose for training she could just switch to her road bike and use the wheel. I was going to say for racing if she really felt she wanted to have a power meter on race day we could rent one. I just went to the website and I don’t see power tap options for 650c wheelsets though. I’m getting ahead of myself here. We haven’t bought one yet, I’m sure we will have worked this out before we buy anything.


4 comments:

RockStarTri said...

I could do an opus on gear ratios but rather than spend the money adjusting chainrings a lot can be done with cassettes. I typically race with a 53/29 and a 11x28. A 50/34 (compact) with the right cassette is a good setup for hilly courses like Moose and Timber.

Powertaps can be made on 650 wheels but it can help much more during training than on race day. You need to understand your power profile prior to racing in order to use the PT as an effort governor. The lower gear ratios help control power exertion.

Sorry if I sound a little preachy. I am a huge power apostle but it is a little difficult to figure out on your own. Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

m said...

I like the rule that Genine gets a bike when you do :)

My first tri bike had 650 wheels. I didn't notice much of of a difference, except it was alot harder to find tires and tubes. I'm guessing someone must make a powermeter that is compatible with a 650. You don't want to have to share powermeters, Adam and I did that last year. I usually won out on that one.

And congrats on getting the new bike!

Regina said...

Genine was NOT using a granny gear at the NYC Tri!!! Btw, what is her bike color? red? Ha!

catmarlson said...

@RST: I'm definitely looking at cassette changes rather than chainrings. I also plan to have the powermeter sooner than later as I'd like to work through a ton of questions I'll likely have.

@m: definitely a 650 power meter out there. It just wasn't a rental option at racedaywheels.com
Very excited about the "new" bike.

@Regina: It is really too bad that neither of you had helmet cam at the NYC Tri this past year. Would have been fun to see the race from that perspective.
As for bike color, Genine would love one of the flat black Cannondale bikes. I'm glad the Cervelo we found for her is grey/white.
As you know, he waits to show her choice of race colors until the last moment, this way she confuses the competition. :-)