Friday, January 7, 2011

Shipping your Tri Bike?

I took a couple of picture of my how my "new" bike was shipped to me in a standard bike box. I figured it could be useful in the future if I ever need to ship it again.

The parts you would likely need to ask the bike shop for are, the cap on the front wheel hub seen in the 2nd picture. The plastic part on the bottom of the fork. Also beneath the white foam at the stem was a cardboard tube placed over the stem where the bars attach, this kept the fork from moving up and down. The second bike had a large tie wrap in place here, it worked but not nearly as effective.

Crank side: Click to enlarge.


the other side


The other bike arrived with the rear derailleur detached, wrapped tightly in bubble wrap and tie wrapped to the frame close to where it normally resides. I can't say which method is better. Anyone with any experience/damage reports of one method vs the other?

This is a Cervelo P2SL in case anyone is wondering.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I've had this bike for a couple of years and two Ironman Tris. I love it, I'm sure you will too!

Caratunk Girl said...

Holy cow, I am getting a new bike and it is going to come to me like that. Now, I am scared. Not really, just a little nervous about putting it together! Good luck!

catmarlson said...

Dawn, so glad to hear that you've done 2 Full Iron tris on this bike. I'd say the #1 thing the bike shops said to push me towards carbon is, "you are giving up a lot of comfort on an aluminum frame bike".
I think I'm going to love this bike.

CG, it's much easier than it looks. The rear derailleur had me concerned. Didn't want to cross thread something! I finally realized I wasn't rotating enough to get it into place. Once I had it in the notch, it sat flush and screwed in easily.
I'd ask your bike shop which parts should be lubed before putting it together. The answer may be different between aluminum and carbon.
I'd ask what bike you are getting but I'll wait for your blog post. (I don't think I've seen you post about it yet)