Sunday, January 9, 2011

Wrong side of the curve. Bike Fit.

I'm still on the wrong side of my weight loss graph. It’s really not surprising I guess. I didn’t have time to make all the foods I like to have available to me during the week. It’s difficult to find time for cooking AND workouts on weekdays. So I end up working with what I’ve got in the fridge and it doesn’t work as well. Also I guess I’m not someone who throws a switch and is back on track. It’s been a week now, hopefully I’ve built up some momentum and my eating will be on track this week. (I’m not that far off the curve, no worries yet).


I also went to the bike shop to get a bike fit. I went to the guy that showed me the 2011 P2C. I was a bit concerned that he would be put off by the fact that I bought used rather than buying, not one but two bikes from him. I decided to call him anyhow because when we were talking about fit, I liked what he had to say about it.


Before I even stand over the bike, he puts me onto a table to measure my flexibility. He finds out that I have none. I think he was a bit surprised at how tight my hamstrings are. From his measurements he then puts me onto the bike and I get my fit. I am nowhere near textbook triathlon aero position and I’m okay with that. I want to be in a position that I can go out and ride 3-6 hours and my back won’t be screaming after the first hour or so. Because once the back starts to ache, I’m sure my power drops, it hurts to push hard when it’s like that.


My aerobar setup might be a bit of a work in progress. I had the ski jump bars before. These are the S bend bars and I have to get comfortable with that position. I’m happy with the fit though. I’m also glad I have months to workout on the new bike before I have to race.


Next the bike went over to the bike tech. They ran a few new cables, replaced and trimmed some cable housing, then adjusted the shifting. Good as new right? Well unfortunately when I got home and put the bike on the trainer, I found the shifting was still not good. I couldn’t even get to the 12 tooth. That was a simple enough adjustment but the front derailleur when pedaling under load did not shift up to the big ring easily. (which was the one thing I mentioned that needed to be fixed) So I started to adjust that as well. I spent wayyyy too much time working on this. I was checking everything. Is the cable the right length? Stretched? Are the ramps and pins on the chain ring good? What Is Up?!?! I was considering just taking it back to the shop and having them re-do it. Instead, I decided to take it to the shop near me that has always done a fantastic job tuning my bikes. (for half the cost of the other shop). Which means I don’t have my bike for a few days. This will upset me only if my problem isn’t resolved when I get my bike back. (I don’t expect that I’ll be disappointed)


Genine’s bike is also built. I spent some time with her yesterday giving her a basic fit. I also gave her my ISM saddle to try out. I’m going to use the profile design on my P2SL and try out an older Fizik saddle on my Trek. I want to find the right saddle this season.


It’s hard not to be a bit jealous of Genine’s bike, it’s Brand New with Dura Ace componenets! I know, I know, the bikes are nearly identical. If I should be jealous of anything I should be jealous of her flexibility. She will likely be in a more aero position than I am once she gets her fitting.


Which brings me to Yoga. I now have the option of a 2nd yoga class every week. Of course I should do it, the trouble is with the scheduling. That would make 13 workouts a week I need to schedule. That will be easier to do now during the winter than when it’s the summer. How many times will I want to be out on my bike after work rather than in a yoga studio? You could argue I just do yoga on my own. Well I think the answer to that question is this. I am sore the day after I take a yoga class. This never happens when I do my own yoga. I plan on sending a note to the coaches to see what the modifications would be to go to a 9 SBR+ weights workout week instead of 11.


Lastly, Swimming. I’m still slow but kicking is definitely improving. I would credit the weight training for this. I’m also keeping good single goggle breathing form, which is doing good things in terms of keeping my overall balance in the water.


My workouts are much different this year than in previous years. I’m doing more 400’s 600’s and 800’s. I can’t help but think this is helping me find my pacing for longer distances and it’s also changing my mindset about these being “long” sets. I see them on the list and I just get to it. Slowly, but I’m confident that will change. In about a month I’ll see Coach Q for my first lesson of the year. He has always helped me make noticeable improvements. I can’t wait. I love being fast in the water. (relatively speaking of course)

No comments: