Monday, February 7, 2011

Central Park NYRR Gridiron Classic 4 miler.

2011 Results can be found here.

I wasn’t sure how this was going to go. My lungs were still not clear from the cold I’ve had the last 2 weeks. Fortunately, I was going to have company during the run. Todd usually starts in the front corral but he ran the Miami Marathon last weekend. So we decided today would be an easy effort.

The walking paths were very very icy. Getting around before the race was slow and dangerous. Yet it was sunny and 41 degrees with very little wind, so a nice day to run. Genine was our photographer for the day.


Because it was Superbowl Sunday they asked people to wear football jerseys. I was wearing a Bruce Smith jersey. There were only 1 comment all day. As I was walking through the baggage claim at the start, someone yelled Bruuuuuuce!


We started back in the 4000-5000 corral, which meant it was plenty crowded on the run. No problem, we didn’t even do a warm-up. The warm-up will be the first couple miles. It always surprises me to see just how rough of a go it is without a warm-up. Here’s the graph.

First mile 9:50

Second mile 8:55

Third mile 8:40

Fourth mile 7:16


My watch/footpod is out of calibration. It measured the race at 3.9 miles and typically it is spot on. So the first 3 miles were probably a bit faster and the last mile a bit slower. My watch hasn’t been working in so long, I forgot to hit splits at the mile markers. I had to add them in using the software.

I’m pleased with the effort. Considering the fact I haven’t run outside in a month and that I’m still recovering from a chest cold, I was glad it wasn’t a sufferfest.

34:37 or 8:39 min/mile.


I realize it’s been a long time since I’ve posted anything impressive. No PRs. Not even a race where I go into it trying for one. Where is my motivation coming from? How can I possibly be optimistic about the upcoming season? Well there are a few things I can think of.


My left heel: I had been dealing with Plantar Fasciitis, for what was probably a year or more, it has not been an issue. Will it come back when I start pushing harder? I hope not.


My right ankle: Last fall I was seriously concerned that the sprain I gave myself training for the marathon last year could have been the end of running for me. Now I don’t even think about it.


Mark Allen Online: I often question whether I am doing enough. When I start to doubt myself, I figure I’ll never know how it’s going to turn out unless I follow the plan as closely as possible. I have a feeling I’ll be doing plenty once the race prep schedule starts in 8 weeks.

I can also look to many of the people that have followed his plan and had great success. If I even capture a part of what they have learned and accomplished following the plan. I will be happy.


Looking forward to race day: I love race days. I never would have guessed how much I would enjoy the events. I can't wait to get back into the water for a swim start. I only got to swim at one triathlon last summer!! When I line up for Columbia in May, it will have been a full year between swim starts. Too long!


Anyhow, motivation isn't a problem. If anything is going to get into my head it's going to be my swimming. Last Sunday I had an amazing swim, it felt like I had it all figured out. My 3 swims since then? All garbage... so frustrating! I wonder how much of that great swim can be attributed to a full week of no biking or running?

This Thursday is our first swim lesson of the year with Coach Q. I think I'm arriving to him slower than last year but with fewer problems. (sounds strange but I think it's true). I know he will help me out. Not only is he good at spotting the problems, he's really good at communicating what it is you need to do to change. Should be fun.

3 comments:

Jon said...

It was a really nice day for the race! I am embracing this little "Warm" spell.

RockStarTri said...

I ran Sunday too. I wore my TILLMAN ASU jersey. Good day (except for those in the black and gold).

catmarlson said...

I saw a Tillman Jersey! Of course I suppose there could have been more than one... Did you start around the 4000 sign?

As a Steeler fan I'm a bit disappointed in the turnovers.
As a football fan I'm alright with it. It just shows how evenly matched many of the teams are. The Superbowl easily could have had the Falcons, Ravens, Jets and maybe the Patriots (and others I'm forgetting) in there and been a good game.