Saturday, February 12, 2011

Time to drop more weight

I’ve been doing a terrible job maintaining the calorie deficit needed to slowly lose the weight. I’m not gaining but unfortunately my goal weight keeps falling further away from me. I’m 3 pounds behind schedule. That doesn’t sound like much but I’d like to be ahead of this curve instead of behind it. Yes, I’m being impatient at the moment but I also think I’m in the right mindset to take on a more aggressive diet for a while. (We will see if that’s true). So I’m going to an old plan that worked for me back in 2001 when I weighed 230 pounds. I’m curious to see how well it works starting at 184 pounds. It’s a modified Atkins diet and it’s supposed to be one that you don’t count anything but carbs. (Making sure you keep it low). This worked great at 230lbs but I plan on tracking calories and my carb/fat/protein this time. I want to know the ratios and know how it affects my workouts. Also you need to maintain a calorie deficit to drop the weight even if it says don’t concern yourself with a calorie count.

Our swim lesson was canceled because there was a swim meet at the pool. Now I have to wait 3 weeks until the next one. Another late start to my swim lessons this year… kind of frustrating. Maybe this will work out for the best. We should have 3 lessons before my build plan starts and at least 2 after.

My lungs are still not 100%. If I have another illness between now and the race season, I’ll get to the doctor quick for antibiotics. It’s a drag to not be 100% for weeks on end.

Not very exciting but that’s what’s up.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I've read from multiple sources that the Atkins diet (even modified) is about the most unhealthy diet that anyone could try. Instead, go for whole foods, fruits and veggies. If you like to read, try a couple of books, "The Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose, and "The 80/10/10 Diet" by Dr. Douglas Graham. They get down to the science behind what we eat and what it does to us, and for us, in terms of energy. Well worth reading.

catmarlson said...

I read a ton because of my commute in and out of NYC. I haven't checked those books out. I have read the Thrive Diet though. I'll keep these in mind. (amazon's used books can get really cheap)

I keep trying to make the improvements, we got a vegan cookbook back in December. I have no intention to go vegan. It's just I figure it would be a good way to add more veggies into our life.

Dawn said...

Brendan's book has some good points, but I think he misses the big one by self-promoting his own product too much. Rose and Graham are much better about explaining the reasons for eating well. Proclaiming yourself vegan, or raw, or vegetarian doesn't make you a healthy eater...it comes down to the basics of removing processed food and eating more unprocessed fruits and veggies. I dropped 15 pounds after reading these books and changing my habits, and I've kept it off for 9 months now.