Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Follow up to my last post.

In response to Dawn's comment in the previous post. I started typing it as a comment then it just got out of hand.


This is a short-term diet to shed the weight, I shouldn't be on it long enough that it will give me issues.

I know that once I lose the weight and I go back to eating normally, and I’ll have to keep track of calories to keep the weight off. I’m hoping that part will be easier than the diet. It should be.


I also should have been more specific about the diet. I called it Atkins just because I figured everyone was familiar with the low carb thing. Here is a rough outline. I’m guessing this might fit any number of “diet plans” out there.


Week one is about forcing the body to go into fat burn.

Breakfast: Grapefruit and Eggs

Lunch: Raw Veggies and Lean Protein

Dinner: Raw Veggies and lean Protein

Snacks, more of the same.


Second week if the weight is falling off, you can add some steamed veggies and various types of nuts.


Third week, if you are still losing, you get to add a fruit or 2 to the mix.


Depending on how the weight is falling off, I’ll either be done with this, or I’ll repeat parts of it if necessary. They go on to explain a long term plan and there's really nothing wrong with it, it's just I know I'm not going to be on it long term.


So why am I doing this rather than just calorie restriction? Because I'm familiar with it and it was successful for me in the past. It's likely successful because I can manage significantly large calorie restriction and not go crazy.


I believe we did this for about 6 or 7 months back in 2001 (maybe longer, I'm not sure). I don’t have cravings on this diet. That is the key. I also remember having very steady energy all the time. (I wasn’t working out then tho’). Once I adapted (finished week 1) I felt very normal.

The difference this time around is I’m working out 6 days a week, I’m 45 pounds lighter to start, I already eat a fairly low glycemic diet, and I don’t consume artificial sweeteners or any soda. So it’s not as much as a shock to the system and there isn’t as much easy weight to lose.


I also don’t have a problem doing this because I’m not eating anything that’s unhealthy. It does lack variety so taking vitamins is important.

I’m also not concerned about having perfect workouts right now. I ran out of power on the bike last night. I just didn't have the calories. So I only finished 80% of the workout. I’m fine with that. Once I’m done with the diet, it should be worth it.


I should have taken a picture of the salad I made for dinner yesterday. It was massive. Cukes, red pepper, sweet pepper, tomato, bean sprouts, avocado, olives, with 4 or more types of greens, topped with grilled chicken and balsamic vinegar.

I already eat that salad several times (4-5x) a week anyhow. So I’m really not adding anything new, I’m just temporarily eliminating this stuff: fruit, sweet potatoes, beans oatmeal, sprouted wheat bread, natural peanut butter, cheese, milk,. And the bad stuff: Cliff Bars the occasional beer, sharing a piece of cake at the diner on the weekend….

I figure I’ll be doing this for 3 weeks, maybe more. I’ll just see how it goes. (would love for it to be over quickly but that is unlikely)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

You've figured out the biggest barrier, tho...no energy. It's carbs that give you the energy to finish your workouts, and a diet like that can't support it. But you won't enjoy the damage that such a diet is doing to your digestive system, either. Men do process fat a little better than women, but that diet is probably 60% percent fat...in other words a very fast way to get diabetes. Do yourself a favor, and read "The 80/10/10 Diet" before you get too deep into it. Graham addresses the issues of nutriets and vitamins as well, which totally changed the way I look at supliments. If you do read it, I'll be curious to know what you think...it was quite an eye-opener for me!

Good luck with whatever you choose, losing weight with any method takes dedication!