Sunday, February 27, 2011

Indoor Tri results

Well, the first Tri of the year for me was near perfect!! On my 41st birthday, I WON my first triathlon ever ( and very likely the last).

The guy who won the last 2 years did not come to the race this year, or I would have easily been second. But ,... let's focus on the positive:

The race goes on straight distance,...15 min for swim, 15 for bike and 15 for run. 5 minute transitions for each change. Thus the swim is negligible even for the great swimmers. Most distance is from the bike and I've been training harder than ever in that category.

I swam 575 to 585 yards in 15 min- A 15% improvement from last year.
I biked on the recumbent bike 6.41 miles- a 10% improvement. and
I ran 2.066 miles on the treadmill.- A decrease of 10%.

By plan, my goal was to work as hard as humanly possible on the bike knowing fully that my run would suffer. But even a reduced run would not be reduced by the amount of the improved bike. And it worked, I gained a little of .5 miles on the bike and lost a little less than .2 on the run. Thus a net improvement. The downside was that the run treadmill almost saw a stomach reaction that I did not want to see rotating on the belt. They did not have any barf bags available so I had to decrease the speed a couple of times to prevent this from happening.

50+ participants- A very, very rewarding day!!! Total distance 8.8 miles.

3 comments:

catmarlson said...

Did anyone swim in a wetsuit? ;-)

Love that the bike portion is a recumbent bike.

Nice work Jim!

Jim said...

No, wetsuits were not allowed or I would have had one on for sure.

I did, however, wear a partial gorilla suit that was man made.

GC said...

Congrats Jim! Looks like you're embracing your swim! ;-)