Thursday, March 3, 2011

Patience

My patience has returned. A couple weeks ago I couldn’t lose weight fast enough, I couldn’t wait for speed work to begin, for warm weather…. And so on. I’ve chilled back out. Now I’m back to the mindset, stay on track and let things fall into place.


It’s likely there are a few reasons for this. The first is the diet. Being impatient and turning up the willpower definitely got the scale moving downward again, so that’s good. Being stressed about a self imposed deadline, not so good. I’ve got to chill about the time frame and just focus on keeping the willpower strong. I’m not that far behind schedule.


The swim lesson definitely helped. I really didn’t know where I was with my racing fitness. Everything I’ve done lately has been slow. Knocking out a PR out of nowhere built back up the confidence that the Mark Allen training program is having an effect. The lesson also has me moving through the water better. I feel that I’m spending more time swimming with good form than I had been. It had been quite frustrating only to have that good form once every week or so.


I’m starting to see the Heart Rate training effects during my runs as well. My pace has increased and I also think that my recovery HR time has quickened. (I realize I’m running slowly). It’s just that when I stop at a light, I’ll look down at my watch and I’m surprised at how low it is after just 10 seconds or so.

My biggest concern in terms of running is preparing for the hills. Both Columbia and Mooseman have some hills to contend with. I plan on adding some of my old hill runs to the mix now that it’s not so icy around here.


If there is anything I’m still left wondering about, it’s the bike. Some things have fallen into place already. The Chain Catcher and the adjusted derailleur (3rd time was a charm) have relieved that I’m not going to be dropping the chain multiple times during a race, or even more concerning, in traffic during a training ride.

I also installed my speedfil hydration system. I guess I can’t give it much of a review until I’m out on the road with it. I already like the fact I’ve got a hands free system. I’ll be able to keep my eyes on the road. I won’t drop my water bottle. There definitely won’t be a bottle launch or splashing when I hit rough road. (Maybe my legs will get splashed a bit?) All good stuff.


I still have a list of concerns tho’. I really think my shoes are too tight. Enough so that I’m wondering how I didn’t notice this last year. Have my feet changed that much in a year? Not sure what’s up there, unfortunately shoes aren’t cheap. Also you don’t get a ton of selection in the triathlon specific department. (Which may not be a concern). Also I’m questioning my cleat position. I’ve already moved the cleat on my right shoe. I’m not sure how much I’m going to mess with it because I also wonder if the fact that they are so tight that it’s playing a part… ugh! Hopefully I get this figured out. I really don’t want to end up with overuse injuries that could have been avoided by a simple adjustment.


Last is the saddle. I’m not sure any saddle is good when you are indoors on the trainer. I’d like to think when you get one that feels good indoors it’s going to be awesome outdoors but I’m not sure that’s true.

The two saddles I have right now, neither has a cut out. (Genine is using the Adamo). I’ve gotta switch to the other saddle for a week. If it’s more of the same, I need to order up a couple saddles to try out. More on that later.

No comments: