Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A bit of recovery before the fun begins

As I said in the previous post, I really wasn't supposed to race that 15K on Sunday. I really wasn't trained for the volume or the intensity of that run. I'm glad that I did it but now I have to be smart and recover from it. (because I can definitely feel it)
I skipped the bike I was supposed to do later in the day Sunday. Monday was an hour easy spin on the bike then stretch. That made a big difference. Tuesday was a 45 min easy run. The run definitely let me know that the hamstrings are still recovering. Overall, I'm still feeling good.

I built my 20 week training schedule to prepare for Timberman 70.3. It starts on Monday. I guess it's happening at just the right time. I feel like I've become quite comfortable with the plan I had been following.
As I looked over the first 6 weeks, I kind of took in a big breath and thought, "Here we go". It looks like a bunch. I'm going to have to adjust my sleep schedule to make this happen.
I had been arriving at the pool at 6AM twice during the week. I think I'm going to have to start at 5:30 now.
I may have to start running before work twice a week as well. I'll be glad to do this once summer hits and the morning is the coolest part of the day. But right now, I'm just thinking how I've enjoyed only waking up early twice a week. I'll definitely have to start going to sleep earlier.

As the volume picks up, maybe I'll be glad I still have this extra 10 pounds to burn off before August? I keep reading about people that have this extra weight at the start, as part of their plan. I missed my "ideal weight" goal but I lost 10 pounds in about 18 weeks. I'll just have to do that again over the next 20.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I'm feeling it too since Sunday's race. Must be my running gait cuz my right leg always gets jacked up after intensity like that.

20 weeks till Timberman. Doesn't seem that far away, yet it might snow tomorrow! ha!