Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dropped a few I.Q. points this weekend.

Saturday morning we went to the pool early. The high school is right across the street. It was busy. Something was going on over there. It turns out the pool was busy too because of this. Many of the adults were at the pool after having dropped their kids off across the street for the SATs. I’d be interested to know what my score would be now compared to 1987. I think I read that they’ve changed how they score those things now. So maybe there’s no longer a direct comparison.


Onto the swim: Because it was so busy, Genine and I didn’t swim in the same lane. We had different workouts planned anyhow, so it wasn’t a big deal. As it turns out I ended up swimming in the lane next to Aaron. He’s a great swimmer. I haven’t seen him in awhile so we chat for a few before I start my swim. When I got to my kick set, when I hit the wall I hear “Hey Matt”. I stop and Aaron says, “when you kick you need to kick from your hips, you are kicking from your knees too much”. ::sigh:: just when I think I’m actually improving something… He then says that he doesn’t think I kick like that when I swim, just when I do my kick sets. So after a bit of discussion, I go back to kicking, now more from the hips. Which now means, I don’t have the strength to kick through the distance without breaking up the set. I mention this to him. His response? “Yeah, kicking hurts”. Ah well, I’m glad to get the advice. If I’m going to do the drills, I may as well do them correctly.


I had mentioned in my previous post that I had gone to the chiropractor. I took Thursday and Friday off figuring I should give myself a break. Saturday turned out to be a bigger day as a result. The swim, I mentioned above. Then later in the evening I hopped on the bike trainer for a 45 minute ride. I guess the legs liked the time off. I was pushing speeds I don’t typically see at the HR I was scheduled for. Then Genine got home from work and we ran for an hour. That got us home at 11 or so. Late night run. Especially since the clocks were moving forward overnight.


Sunday morning was going to be early and busy. We were going to meet up for our first ride outdoors this year. So we had to get the bike rack back onto the car and gather everything for that.


When I went to put the bikes on top of the car. I was having trouble getting the forks to sit into the mounts properly. Upon closer inspection, the forks on our new tri bikes run into the base bar of the roof rack. So they weren’t seated 100%. Ummm, we are running late already…. Plan B…. Plan B… Where are the bike lock cables for this rack? I have no idea….I’ve got no plan B. I decide to drive on the local roads and take it slower than if I’d drive on the interstate. Well we have to get onto the interstate for all of ¼ mile. When I get to the exit 3 miles from our destination…. Yep, the fork mount loses its grip on my bike!!! (How my IQ points do I lose for that decision?) Fortunately, the rear tire strap holds on for dear life and I didn’t have to watch my bike slide across the pavement. Genine was freaked out. I was just annoyed with myself. All I could think was, how I totally deserved that happening for being so stupid.


Once I got to where we were meeting. I started to dig through the car to see what I had available to strap the bikes down better and.... I find the cable locks for the roof rack. Honestly, this will keep the bikes from hitting the pavement if they break loose, but they could still break loose. Drive slowly and stop a few times to check them out on the way home.


The bike ride? It was fine. An easy ride, but honestly I didn’t find it AWESOME to finally be outside riding. I’m not sure I’ll ever be one of those people that ride year round. I definitely prefer warmer biking conditions.


So my bike was shorter than it was supposed to be. When I got home I contemplated jumping in the shower to warm up, but I still had a run to do and weights. So I just threw on a sweatshirt and crashed on the couch for a bit. Alright more than a bit. I think being out in the cold kind of exhausted me more than the workout. (Can I find more reasons for not enjoying riding outside at this point?)


Neither the run nor the weight lifting ever happened. (I’ll blame the bike ride for this too)


I did dig out our old bike rack that doesn’t fit either of our cars and check to see if that system would hold the forks of the “new” tribikes. It does. I had thought I’d eventually buy a 2nd roof rack system but now it’s kind of a priority. I’ll sell the bars from the old VW Golf setup and probably keep the bike mounts. Now I’m wondering if I should sell my Saris rack as well, since it doesn’t hold the Cervelo forks. Maybe I can modify it somehow? I bought it off of eBay back in the late 90’s. It’s definitely served us well. It’s also very flexible. Currently I have it setup to hold 3 bikes and 2 front wheels. I have parts that would allow me to get 4 bikes and 4 wheels up there. It would be tough to give all that up. Unless it actually has some value on eBay to help pay for the new stuff I suppose.


Oh, I forgot to mention we ran into a friend we haven’t seen in quite awhile at the pool. We asked about his race schedule and he said he’d be doing Sprints and Olys. This guy is a really good cyclist, I’ve been hoping to get good enough to go out on some rides with him. I figured this might be my year. That is until he mentioned he had been doing P90X. He had 2 comments about the program. He hates the yoga but does it anyhow. And… that when he finally decided to get on his bike trainer to prepare for 2011, he felt so much stronger than he ever has before…

I guess I just have to accept that if I ever get to go riding with him, it’s going to be a tough ride.


No comments: