Thursday, August 5, 2010

More Tango Talk

Alright, the river today looked like the level I have raced at in previous years. I was hoping that wasn't what the volume was the other day when Jerry and Todd got swamped. So I called my Dad to see what the story was with the river level. (he's got a place on the river so he keeps track).
Here's the deal. When they went out on their practice run the dam was releasing 2400 cfs. Today it was down to 1300 cfs or less. (cubic feet per second by the way). You can check out all the graphs and such here. I'm guessing this lower rate is more likely for race day which will make for a more manageable set of rapids.

I haven't been up to Rim Rock in 2 years. That's where the orienteering is going to be. We are definitely in the sticks out here. National Forest and all that. So it was somewhat surprising that the front page of the newspaper today was about an abduction at gunpoint in the area I was going to be hiking today. That's really a horrible story. Unfortunately I'm guessing this will be one of the more talked about topics at the race this weekend. That's a downer topic during a fun event.
Anyhow, I went up and hiked around. I definitely had a few things in my head that were not right, so it's good that I got up there. I also hiked the portion of the one trail I hadn't been on before. I'd love to say that now that I've done this, I'm going to take 30 minutes off of our previous time. I know better tho'. I think we lost 10-15 minutes at one checkpoint, one year and we were within 40 yards of the point the whole time. It can be frustrating.
I haven't hiked up from the beach yet. If I have time in the morning, I may just do that. Then I'll have covered all the bases, which might allow me to relax about that event a bit.

Funny that I'm not at all worried about the 2.5 mile swim that happens right before all this. That part is just plain fun.

Tomorrow evening is the race meeting/packet pickup. I'm curious to see how many teams are racing this year. It's been more every year. I hope it's a bunch. I think we've got a good team and it would be fun to be ahead of most of them.

No comments: