Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kinzua Country Tango 2010 KB2 Style- Genine's Race Report

As always, I was excited heading into Tango 2010. This race is always one of the highlights of my summer. Not so much because of the race itself (although it is INCREDIBLE), but more so because it brings together so many friends that we don’t get to see often enough. And nothing beats hometown racing! We arrived in Warren on Thursday afternoon. Matt prepared to go scouting up at Rim Rock for the orienteering and I went up to Fredonia with my mom to see my sister & nephews. Friday started the annual flurry of activity leading up to race day: baking & preparing pre-race/post-race meals, gathering canoes, kayaks, life jackets, maps, do I have all my shoes, bike helmet, gloves, etc., who’s arriving at what time, who has coolers, snacks, etc…. and the list goes on. While it is hectic at the time, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. It’s amazing how our friends and their families come together to support this seemingly herculean effort of getting all of our teams ready for race day.


Michelle and I met Friday afternoon to take a test run in the canoe. The water had been running high the previous week when she was out- and since Jerry & Todd had flipped their canoe in the rapids earlier in the week, we wanted to be sure to test our paddling skills before racing. We put the canoe in at Jon’s cottage and headed downstream, taking careful mental notes about which way to navigate the islands, currents, etc. We ran the entire 8mile race course to be sure we had a comfort level of the route, especially the rapids (which we managed thru with minimal water in the canoe). By the time Matt & Jerry met us at the end, Maija, Adam & Joanna had arrived & were out driving the bike course. We went home to clean up and then headed to the pre-race meeting. It’s always fun to see how many familiar faces there are from year to year & getting a chance to say hello. Matt & I joke that it is better than our class reunion! While looking at the team rosters to find out KB2”s number, we noticed that there were 9 womens relay teams this year- twice as many as last year. More competition= more fun! We headed back to my parents house after the meeting to enjoy a delicious spaghetti dinner prepared by my mom (thanks, mom!), completed last minute bike adjustments & race prep, quick shower and I was in bed by 10:45pm.


Race Day: My alarm went off at 5:15am. All 5 of us were fed, prepared and out the door by 6:15 to arrive at the YMCA by 6:30, for a 7:00am start. We took a few KB2 team photos (to show off our fancy, new tattoos!!), I chatted a bit with Damian, potty stop and then it was time to cheer for Jim, Maija, Shawn and the other 13.1mile runners as they started the race.

KB2 at the start of Tango 2010.

KB2 tattoo. Awesome!

Starting line at 6:59am.

As I was driving up to Kinzua Beach, I made sure to take in and appreciate the beauty of the fog lifting and the sun beginning to peek thru the onto the reservoir. It really was breathtaking.

View from top of the beach toward bridge at 7:30am.


I got to the beach and began to prepare my bike gear. Luckily Casey parked beside me and was able to help me get my bike off the roof rack - with the new car, I’m just a little too short to lift it down safely. He & I chatted for a bit as I got my bike together, ate a clif bar and then took a few loops around the parking lot to warm up. I headed down to the transition box & waited with Adam for Jim and Maija to complete their 13.1mile run. Within a few minutes, Jim came flying across the line from his run and Adam started off on the bike. Only another couple of minutes and …here comes Maija!! It’s go time!!

Adam & me ready to race.

Tagging Maija to start my bike.


Knowing that my overall fitness & training was not quite at the level I was at last year, I took the initial 2mile climb at the start of the ride conservative, but steady…. spinning, spinning, spinning. I got to the dirt roads feeling pretty good. While I remained a bit conservative on my climbs, I took a few more risks than previous years on the down hills. Now mind you, any experienced cyclist would still call my off-road riding skills weak at best, but for me I was trying to be brave. I still used the brakes, just less than I have in previous years. About 2/3 into the ride, a friend rode up beside me. I asked him if he passed any other women. He said there was a woman (relay) about 2-3mins back. I knew I had to stay strong. The steepest decent was just ahead. I reached the turn at the bottom of the hill and as I shouted my number to the checkpoint person, I heard “WR 72”! Darn it!! There she was, sweeping by me and bombing down the next hill. Clearly she was an experienced off-road biker with much a better skill set than me. I just needed to hang on & keep her in my sights. We were almost to the paved road again…a much more even playing field. Once we reached the rollers on the black top, I could tell that she, too, was slower on the climbs. There was hope! I pushed hard, finally catching and passing her. But she was having none of that. She soon passed me again. And again I told myself to hang on & reel her in. We were nearing the finish. I crested the last hill and noticed she was off her bike on the side of the road. My initial thought was, “oh no! I hope she is ok.” I soon noticed she had only dropped her chain. This was my chance! As she got back on her bike, she glanced back and knew I was on her tail. She gunned it and my legs despite giving their best effort, could not keep up. She rode into transition about 2mins ahead of me. Whew! I was relieved to be done and pass the baton to Joanna. After a few minutes of catching my breath, Jim announced Matt could be finishing his swim in 10mins. Yikes! Jim helped me load my bike onto the car (thank goodness for the kindness of tall men), gathered up kids, etc and headed back to the beach. I parked, grabbed the camera, and ran down to the transition box just in time to see Matt running up the grass from the water to meet Jerry for orienteering. Good timing!


Next out of the water was Joanna!! Wahoo!! While Joanna was making a speedy transition from swim to orienteering, I quickly looked at the map with Maija. 3 of the points looked to be fairly easy, and the other 2 points…well, not so much. We strategized briefly and then they were off into the woods. Then we waited…… After about an hour, Matt & Jerry came down the hill & out of the woods. Both of them saying how difficult the terrain was surrounding point 2. Oh no….did we make a mistake sending 2 “non-locals” out in the woods? “No,” I thought, “they will be fine.” Maija has been up there the past 2 years with me. They are tough cookies. They will be fine. And the minutes ticked by…….still no sign. As Michelle voiced her concern, I told her not to worry. It was still well under 2hours. If it took the guys 1hr 30min, it may take them up to 2 hours. That was my rational. I’m not sure Michelle bought it. Somewhere at about 1hr 50-55mins, I heard Damian yell, “Genine! Here comes Maija down the hill!” I turned to see her and Joanna running across the lot to the transition box. Goosebumps that made my hair stand on end covered my entire body! Thank goodness! They made it out safely!! (ok…maybe I was just a teeny bit concerned.) Amanda was tagged and relieved to finally start her 4.5mile run to the canoe launch.

T3...where to begin?

KB2 = Orienteering Extrodinaires!


Now that the girls were safe, Michelle & I drove down to the boat launch (cheering like crazy teenagers out the car window for Amanda as we drove by). We hit the restrooms, prepped the canoe, donned our PFD’s and waited for Amanda. We were anxious to start the last leg of our race. While we were waiting, we noticed the canoers from the other womens relay team practicing precision-like maneuvers in the water while they waited….in their racing canoe called “Team Confidence”. Gulp! Michelle & I both chuckled. We had altered the name of our trusty canoe to read “We-no-nah-Thing”. Clearly the only advantage we have over them is a head start in the water. Come on, Amanda!!

Tagging Amanda to start canoe.

Once we finally got the boat in the river, we aimed to get into a groove. But as I tried to paddle right, it seemed to throw the line of our canoe. So in order to ease the navigation a bit for Michelle, I paddled left about 95% of the trip. (My left neck/shoulder is still achy). Knowing that “Team Confidence” could possibly pass us at any given moment, we worked at maximum effort. No letting up…ever. As we approached the islands along the course, I was amazed at how my detailed mental notes from the day before suddenly disappeared. Ha! Ah well, I feel we made smart decisions and navigated to the best of our ability. I glanced at my HR monitor about 1/2hr into the ride and it read 179!! That is crazy high for me…higher than my running HR. Obviously I was a little keyed up! At times it felt like we were never going to reach end and the wind was tricky, but finally we passed under the Glade Bridge and by the refinery, dragging in a few spots, but pushed through with minimal effort. As we approached the rapids, Michelle & I reiterated to each other our approach for getting through without capsizing. Exactly what had worked during our practice the day before- come in from the right, hugging the rapids keeping them on our immediate left of the boat & then let them shoot us out the end to the left. No problem…right? Right. Well as we approached, I felt the water was more fierce than the day before. No problem. We got this. Here we go….. Oh crap! Big giant rock! Paddle left!! Around the rock, but into the rapids we went. Deep breath. I paddled gently on the left while shouting, “We’re FINE. We’re STRONG. We’re FINE. We’re STRONG.” Until we shot out of the rapids and made our way left around the island. Sigh of relief and then keep paddling! Michelle asked me, “We were shouting through the rapids for me or for you?” "Both!" I replied. : )

KB2 crossing the finish line!


Maintaining focus, we aimed for the trestle and finally passed between the orange buoys! Crossing the finish line at 3:07pm!! Whew…we did it! Our KB2 teammates, my mom and the guys were on the shore cheering us in. What an awesome feeling! Astounding efforts were put in by all of our KB2 athletes. All contributing to sealing another win of the womens relay division. Way to go ladies!

KB2 post race.


While we don’t have official results or splits yet, here is what I do know:

I have the BEST teammates EVER!

Maija kicked butt on the 13.1mile run! 3rd woman to cross the line!

Joanna ROCKED the swim!! And came out of the water strong.

In true Warrior style, Maija & Joanna hung tough out there in the woods! Amanda killed the 4.5mile run!

Michelle once again proved she has mad skills in the canoe. You are AMAZING!!

And the first place women's relay award goes to....KB2!

And of course a HUGE thank you to the strong, talented and handsome men of Project X!! Your support means the world! We couldn’t do it without you guys!! Congrats on your awesome race efforts!!


Congrats to Shawn & Bart! You made it!! Can’t wait to cheer you on for your 2011 finish…. without flashlights! : )


Finally, my last and BIGGEST thank you goes out to my mom!! Fabulous hostess, chef, baker, chauffeur and cheerleader! She handled a house full of crazy, hungry and dirty athletes with ease…and even offered to do it again next year!

Me with KB2's biggest fan: My Mom!


2 comments:

Regina said...

Congratulations!! That is amazing. What fun. And there is that red shirt again, I'd know it anywhere!

m said...

Thanks for bringing me into to the Tango family and being such a great teammate as usual! Great race report. KB2!!!!