Friday, June 11, 2010

What's Next?

It’s kind of strange but I feel like I just finished my triathlon season and it just started 3 weeks ago. I guess that’s because if I don’t do Timberman, my next Tri will be Skylands on September 12th a local sprint. Then a week later is the Buckman sprint, even closer to home. Those are 3 months away! I’m not sure you can consider them the same race season. :-)


I/we do have the Tango Adventure race on August 7th and there is the little thing called the NYC marathon on Nov 7th. So it’s not like I don’t have anything on the calendar to keep me motivated. Honestly the marathon still freaks me out from time to time. For some reason every now and then I worry that running that far in a race is going to do some permanent damage. Then I realize that if I follow the training schedule, I will know long before race day whether or not I am ready or if this is a smart thing for me to do. Training starts July 5th, we will be back up at Newfound Lake. I can’t think of a better place for it to begin.


Back to the Tango. Let’s say Timberman is off the schedule (which it pretty much is). I keep thinking that running the Tango Solo would be an interesting replacement race. Or maybe as a relay and I do every event but have someone with me for the orienteering and canoe. Here’s the funny part, do you know what event scares me? Take a look at the events.

13.1 mile run hilly

20 mile non technical mountain bike

2.3ish mile swim with hand paddles and fins

7 miles orienteering (Hiking to the top of Rim Rock after that swim, Ugh!)

4.5 mile road run (more hills)

8 mile kayak/canoe

Did you guess the last one? Kayak/canoe. If I am solo and I have to kayak how do I handle my hip/leg cramps while tucked into a kayak. I’d love to think I won’t cramp up but I think that is being unrealistic. After doing all that leg work, getting into a boat where my legs can’t move much is just a begging for some serious leg cramping. I know, I know, just suck it up and deal with it. It’s just funny to me that the “easiest” event is what concerns me. It’s downstream after all, I could just lie in the bottom of the canoe and I’d finish…. Eventually.


Anyhow, those scenarios are also unlikely. I really enjoy doing this race as a relay. There is something about being part of a team that makes the day even more fun. Giving it your best because the next person is waiting for you. Waiting at T1-T5 and the finish wondering how your teammate is doing? Then seeing them appear in the distance and the adrenaline kicks in because you are up next. That is fun stuff!

At the moment I believe my team is: Jim, Marty, Jerry and myself. I feel that Jim would do the best job of assigning people to events but here is my stab at it.


13.1 run: Jim

20 mile bike: Jerry

2.3 mile swim: Me

7 mile orienteering: Marty & Jerry?

4.5 mile run : Jim

Canoe: Jerry & Marty or Matt

Keep in mind Jerry plans on breaking the course record, be prepared to work! Heck we might want to find someone that only wants to canoe with Jerry.


Don’t think too hard on using these 4 people yet. Definitely consider what slots could benefit from adding a person and see what we can do about that. There is a chance we may have another strong runner that would be interested. We should know if that’s the case in a couple weeks.


As for my training plan for the next few weeks before the marathon schedule hits?

Run no more than 3 days a week. Tues/Thurs/ Weekend

Get back to swimming 4 days a week. Mon/Wed morning. Thursday PM and weekends. (I want to crush the Tango swim)

Bike as often as possible. (Genine will make sure of this)

All while dieting....

No comments: