Saturday, June 12, 2010

Genine's Mooseman 2010 Race Report

Here it is a week after Mooseman and I'm finally getting around to writing my race report. I haven't been too motivated to write as I wasn't really sure what I wanted to say. The months leading into the race this year felt totally different than the previous 2 years for me. Without the relay division, many of our friends who raced with us before would not be attending. :-( And as I have posted before, our house construction & my work insanity led to major stress and insomnia for me which therefore led to severe fatigue, both physical & mental, and a very inconsistent workout schedule. What did all of that boil down to for me on race day? Not feeling prepared to race a strong race. The only thing I was hopeful for was an improved swim time over last year. Other than that it was about crossing the finish line...which I knew I could do.

Well, as you know by now, the swim did not happen due to the thunder and lightening storms that morning. I have to admit that I was actually disappointed that the swim was cancelled. It is the only swim that I look forward to. ( You know the life-long love affair The Carlsons have with Newfound Lake.) But after an hour and a half delay, I turned my focus to the bike. We were doing a time trial bike start & riding a 17mile abbreviated bike course. Again, I was a bit disappointed. Since the bike is my favorite part (why couldn't they have decide to shorten the run?!), it is always my most anticipated part of the race for me. I decided to make the most of it and ride strong, not worrying about the run. The run will be S-L-O-W no matter what, so what the heck, right? I was happy with my ride. Unlike most of my training rides leading up to the race, my legs felt strong. I almost forgot what that felt like. I finished in 52:22.

My run was...well...it just was. Much slower than last year at a 10:38pace. I can't say that I'm surprised. Even at my best, I am not fast. But guess what? I finished!! Goal acheived!! The good news is that my hips were not hating me. I'll take it....big blisters and all. (I really wished I would have remembered when I decided to run in my old shoes so my toes wouldn't cramp, that the arches of my feet rub on the orthodic inserts if I don't put on big band-aids...especially with wet socks.)

After the race, we enjoyed the great post-race food while we waited for the awards. After the awards ceremony, we all agreed it was time to head back to the house. Everyone was tired and ready for showers & naps. It had been an exhausting and eventful morning. But as we were getting ready to go, I suddenly realized that I had not even dipped a toe in the lake yet! Down to the water I went. Even though I only waded in up to my waist, it was as if the water washed over me and cleared my mind. Depsite the circumstances and my lack-luster emotions leading up to the race, the crazy weather altering the race, the fundraiser results not being as much as we had hoped, etc...... my mind and my heart were at ease in that very moment. I knew, no matter what, Judy was proud....and that somewhere Nathan was playing "shark" in the lake...and Dan was doing cannonballs at Sculptured Rocks. The day was perfect just as it was.

Matt & Judy in NH 1998.

Judy & Nathan in NH 2000.

Dan Dare at Matt's house 1987.

The rest of the afternoon/evening was spent visiting, laughing and of course eating with friends and family(Eric & Ryan came up for dinner). I am so blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. A GIGANTIC THANK YOU to Ruth!! RUTH ROCKS!! She is a fantastic assistant chef, sherpa, photographer and not least of all Scrabble player and friend! Big thanks to Amy, Steve and Maija for making the trip up to race with us! Fun times as always! And to the most amazing husband in the world, Matt....xoxoxo. For the record, I kept my promise to myself and prepared much less food this year at the house. Even though there was plenty of leftovers left in the freezer and in cars headed back to NJ/NY, it really was less...really.

1 comment:

m said...

This was such a nice race report/post Genine! Thanks so much for having me up to stay with you guys. Even with the storms changing the race it was still a fun time!