Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Things Are Heating Up Down Here

After a few weeks in the low 20's, we finally hit 65 today, with more of the same for tomorrow! Now THAT is what I'm talking about! Oh, I live in Richmond, VA these days, in case anyone is wondering.

There is a double meaning in the title of this blog because I also grabbed a hot pan and burned all four fingers of my right hand this evening. I hate getting 2nd degree burns to my fingers. Typing is slow going.

I have not been keeping up with the spreadsheet, but I have been working out pretty regularly for the past few weeks. In addition to physical therapy (shoulder...remember?) twice a week, I have also been hitting the bike for 25 minutes and then the eliptical for 15 every other morning at the gym at work. I am finding that it is kicking my ass so far.

I have decided against using the heart rate method to train for now. The machine says my target HR is about 159-ish. Because I am so out of shape, I end up hitting 189 pretty quickly and then machine wants to pause so my HR will come back down. My desire to not appear as a total woose in front of everyone is pitted against my fear of my heart exploding in my chest right there in the gym. So far vanity is winning out. I will continue to monitor my HR to make sure it will starts to improve.

Also, I shared a link the Matt earlier regarding an annual event in Warren. It is called "Kinzua Country Tango" and info can be found at www.kinzuacountrytango.com. It looks pretty gruelling, but also a lot of fun. My brother is planning to participate this year (August). He was going to be on a team with Andy Keverline. Since Andy's passing, he feels more strongly than ever to be in it. So far, I have agreed to be there for moral support, and also safety canoe person for the 2.2 mile swim. If I am somehow able to get myself in shape by then, I will attempt to participate with him.

With the weather finally turning towards Spring, I believe I will get up early and go for a run before work. I have to wear a suit tomorrow anyway, which makes shower logistics that much more difficult for me...it is the tie that messes everything up.

I hope everyone is doing well and managing to maintain at least some form of physical activity. I know I have not been doing my share with making postings and I will try to get better. I will also make an attempt to keep up with the spreadsheet to record my workouts.

5 comments:

CSquared said...

The Mooseman 08 (Venerable Companions) should enter a relay in the Tango. We probably have some support on the lake, I know a few people who live there. Shawn, what do you think, two man full Tango, perferably the relay. I will even volunteer for the swim, it will motivate me to swim hard this summer.

I should probably check with Tamara before I commit, but if we had a 4 person team, I could handle two legs, three if necessary.

Just let me know if you think my eyes are bigger than my legs or mouth or arms, you know, way over my head here.

catmarlson said...

I emailed the contact person for the KCT. I belive this guy is an ex-Navy Seal. I'll verify that later.
Anyhow, I asked if the list of events was the event order. His response was, the events are... and gave me the list from the webpage. So I guess the order could be right.
Swimming a couple miles after a half marathon and a 20mile bike. I guess I understand why they want someone along side the swimmer in a canoe.

Casey said...

I say we go for a 5 or 6 man relay. The event allows for teams of up to 6. The more I think about it, the more I seriously doubt I can pull the whole thing off by myself. Especially since I verified with the organizer that all events take place in the order they appear on the website and all in the same day. That means the swim happens after the half marathon and the 20 mile bike. Yikes!

If we are short willing participants, I will check with my brother to see if I can talk him into being part of the relay.

I think we can pull this off. Everyone give it some thought.

Ethanol said...

My ex-triathalete buddy tells me that some tri's are run with the swim at the end so that there aren't so many people in the water at the same time. The feeling is that it's easier to keep track of a few at a time instead of 100+. Great idea unless someone is exhausted and goes glug, glug. He ran one where they had a canoe phase at the end.

SJV said...

I don't know what I'm qualified to do in this race, but it looks fun. I could probably swim slowly (fins allowed! I like fins a lot. It totally changes the dynamic of the swim), I could bike (also fairly slowly) and I can certainly canoe, which might be my strongest event (more musles, less gasping for air, used to do that for a living). I could probably get back into orienteering with a little practice. Used to be okay at that too back in the boy scout days.

A little more information on that site would be helpful. How do the two-person teams compete? Which parts require two people simultaneously? If we are doing orienteering, can we use a GPS? Etc.

That's definitely a cool race. Craig, if you don't want to win, I would be happy to consider it.