Saturday, February 3, 2007

Being a real "iron man"

I've been talking to friends I know that have either marathoned or biked long distance. My buddy, Phil, said that he knew he was in top form when his resting heart rate was around 30. He's done it all, track, cross country, biked a century, tri, even raced canoes. He's a bit competetive so he felt that if he was going to do it he wanted to finish near the top. He said that it's good to be a little obsessive about the training. There's a real commitment to getting in shape to be a top finisher.
He also mentioned that his brother is still running tri's and will be in this years Mooseman to try to qualify for the Iron Man in Hawaii. I'm hoping to meet him and get some info from him.

2 comments:

Ethanol said...

I guess I should mention that Phil quit because he blew his knees out.
He ran from high school until he was about 40.

CSquared said...

See, very few of us have run since high school, so our knees should be good to we are 55 or so ...

Benefit of not being competitive to the eve of your mid-life crisis.