Monday, November 8, 2010

NYRR 5 "Race Report"

Friday morning Todd and I drove into the city to run the NYRR 5 Miler in Central Park. This would be my final race to meet the 9+1 requirement to gain entry for next year. It was mid 50's and damp. Fortunately the rain held off.
We had to be there early (before 7AM) to pick up our race numbers, so we had a chance to warm up for a change. My left hamstring was still giving me grief, so I wasn't much of a running partner during the warmup. I also knew I needed to keep my run in a very low HR zone. (My training schedule doesn’t really allow for racing in week one. Go figure?) My race goal, finish. Todd on the other hand was looking to improve his NYRR pace. They use your fastest run pace from all your previous NYRR races to seed you into the corrals.
He was also psyched to see that his race number was 187 today, which meant he was in the front corral. The course is wide open when you are up in the front, meaning you don't have to weave through the slower traffic.

My number 1036 didn’t put me too far back. I think 2nd corral but I wasn’t going to run anywhere near my normal pace. I really like how they seed the corrals so I wanted to be respectful of the system. I went back into the back of the 3000’s. I’m not sure what pace that would be but I knew it was far enough back that I wouldn’t feel like I was in the way.

They gave away 5 2011 marathon entries to runners of this event. There were only 2102 people running. That’s probably better odds than the real marathon lottery right? Maybe not. A woman that was standing just a few feet away from me won. She immediately said “Oh dear Lord, I can’t do another one!” It was pretty funny. She then went up and picked up her award. (some sort of certificate). At which point the race was about to begin so she was trying to figure out what the heck to do with it. Again, somewhat comical.

Horn sounds and off we go. I just settle into the pace surrounding me. I don’t have my HR monitor/ pace watch on. After a few minutes I decide it would probably be good to pay attention to my breathing. That should help keep me in check. I was breathing in for 4 steps, out for 4 steps. I got to the first mile marker on a 10 min/mile. Alright, that’s what we are talking about super easy. When you are running that easy, you can really take in your surroundings. Watch what other runners around you are doing or actually look at the park you are running through. Which was fun, I couldn’t help but think that the crowd I was running with would have been me about 3 years ago. 2 mile mark, I’m fairly certain this was another 10 minute mile, I looked at the clock but when you aren’t racing, it’s not all that meaningful. It was around this point that the group I was with started to have issues with the hills. Both uphill and downhill. I was jogging along but then started to think, nice long downhill. It’s actually tougher to stop your momentum than it is to just open up a bit and take the speed the hill is offering. Then on the next uphill, I’m looking around thinking, “use your arms people!” and I power up the hill. I get to the next mile mark look at the clock and think, that wasn’t a 10 minute mile. What was that? I’m definitely not breathing every 4 steps anymore but I’m not exactly going all out either. So I just keep rolling with it. It was cool to be running under the mile banners for the Marathon and imagining the route being absolutely packed. Then running up the finishing chute with all the flags lining the way. It was a good run, I figured I probably ran a 9 min mile average. I checked the results later to see I ran an 8:31 min/mile, which would mean I was running about a 7:30 pace for the final 3 miles if I was correct about my 2nd mile. This proved to me that I’ve got to take my watch with me if I want to keep focused on holding a low HR. Perceived effort isn’t going to work for me yet, at least not in a “race” situation.

Later in the day, I made a trip over to the Javits Center to pick up my Marathon Race packet. Basically I paid what $150 or so for a bottle of water, a bottle of Gatorade, a reflective wrist band and a nice long sleeve tech shirt. (my 2nd of the day). I figured it’s better than getting nothing out of the deal which was the case for Timberman this year. Packet pickup was very simple at 2-3 in the afternoon on Friday. I’m guessing I had all my stuff within 15 minutes of walking in the front doors of the place. I’m guessing that it would have been much crazier starting around 4-5. The only deal I took advantage of while I was there was buying a box of 24 GU for $20. You were able to mix and match the flavors, so I now have a good variety again.

I also completed my first week of “coaching”. I finished all 11 workouts and stayed within the guidelines with the exception of the 5 mile race. I guess I don’t have much to say about it other than I like the idea of having the schedule. I don’t have to question how long of a workout I have to do each day. It’s all taken care of. My job is just to follow along and trust that it will get me there.

(I can’t wait to get there, it’s going to be fun.)


Big Congrats to Todd for running a 6:43 min/ mile at the 5 mile race Friday. 5th in his age group. 103rd overall out of 2102. I was 718th if it matters to anyone, it didn't to me.

Also a congrats to Jim for running an 18:49 5K (6:03 min/mile) for 2nd place back in Warren.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me focused. I need to up my game so that I can continue to train with you guys.

1 comment:

Regina said...

wow, I can't believe they gave away marathon spots? Cool!

Sounds like you had a good race.