Saturday, December 26, 2009

Jim is focused

Christmas day I get back "home" around 10PM. I check my cell. 1 message, from Jim. "Running 20 tomorrow morning. Meet me on the trail around 9:10 to run the last 10 with me".
I had eaten 10,000+ calories on Christmas day so it sounded like a good idea.
My alarm goes off in the morning. I look out the window and it pouring rain. Genine says "I'm not running". I fall back asleep. Alarm goes off a few more times... Alright. I'm up. Only excuse I have for not running is the weather and that's a lame excuse. I have 10 minutes to go and meet him. So I go for it. Best case scenario, I get to play Guitar Hero or Rock Band for awhile.... No such luck. I see a couple runners on the road. They tell me to meet them at the house.
Jim has finished 10, Chris 5. Jim changes into dry clothes and we are out the door.
My first 5 miles feel terrible but it goes by quickly. Running with others really helps the time go by. The 2nd 5 miles feel better but I think Jim said we were running an 8:30 min/mile. Ugh! The New Year's diet can't get here soon enough.
I got 10 miles in. Chris got 12 in. The best news is that Jim was going strong finishing 20 miles. He should have some confidence going into his marathon next month.

I got about 5 hours off. Now Genine and I are heading for the pool. Our "Group Swim" kinda fell apart on us. (who would have guessed?) I'm looking forward to it. Also looking forward to catching up with everyone else later tonight. Quick trip. Gotta keep moving to fit it all in.

Jim thanks again for getting me out the door this morning.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Thank you Matt! Great having you run with me yesterday. Glad you came outside in the wind and mist.

You say ugh, for an 8:30 per mile. but doing 10 or 20 of them under that is 3:45 marathon pace and pretty good. FYI-the last mile was 8:00 for your tenth mile and my 20th.

Great run, now a 3 week taper for me. Robins Air Force Base Marathon

Have a safe trip back.

catmarlson said...

I have a tendency to start out slow. Heck I typically have to stop and stretch after a couple miles if I hope to any kind of "speed".

As for a marathon pace, I hope to find out what mine is someday.

I have a feeling you are going to have a strong finish if the weather is right. Can't wait to hear about it.