Sunday, April 1, 2012

NYRR CCC 4 miler

44 degrees and no rain.

I'm not going into this run on fresh legs. Did an hour speed bike workout Saturday, followed by a trip to the pool. At the pool I knocked out the longest swim I've done in quite some time, 4500m. I ended up using the pull buoy more than I wanted to, but right now it's a very helpful tool as I work on my stroke. It was nice to see 1:40/100m on the clock towards the end of that set. Without the buoy, it was drastically slower. 15-20 sec. I was cooked.

Back to the 4 miler. My right foot been much improved lately, so I decided I would really focus on my running form. I kept thinking quick cadence, light on your feet. I got to the first mile mark at 8:00, I'm not exactly sure when I reached the start line. I guessed at 30 seconds but it was probably more like 10-15 at most.

Even tho' I wasn't going to go all out. I wasn't looking for an easy run either. I wanted to see 7:30 or less for my pace at the end of this. Which means I'd better stay focused and pick it up a bit.
Mile 2 I got there at 15:30. Guess I dialed in the 7:30 perfectly.

But there is trouble ahead, it's time to do some climbing. I felt pretty good about mile 3. I felt there was a chance that I had held pace. I didn't. 7:38. Downhills ahead.

I had a couple people near me that had been running with me for quite some time. I had it in my head that I wasn't going to let them beat me to the finish. Unfortunately, I don't think any of our group were excellent descenders. We had plenty of people sneaking by us here.
Once we were out of the descent, I decided to turn it up. Last week I had no kick, I ran easier today, I should have a bit of a kick. There was one guy that went with me and we finished out the final 400(?) within a couple steps of each other. I stayed ahead.

I looked at the clock and figured I should have been just under a 7:30 pace for the run. Have to say I was a bit disappointed to see 7:35 when the results came out. 30:19 for 4 miles. That may have ended my  "no watch or HR monitor during my runs" phase. I've found the watch to be helpful in the past. It's time to get it back into my training.

Todd had a good run considering he ran 12 miles yesterday in a cold rain. 27:54, so 6:59 pace.

As soon as I got home. I switched to bike clothes and headed over to Ed's and we rode for just over 90 minutes. 50 degrees and overcast. My first outdoor ride of the year. It was nice to have some momentum on the bike. I still don't have good gear to ride in this type of weather but what I put together worked well enough for today.

Next weekend is a 10K in Central Park. I'm going to try to work my schedule so I have a day off leading into it. I'd like to get an idea of where I am for 10k's.

It's been a good week. Hoping I can string an number of these together. It would do wonders for my psyche.

2 comments:

Jon said...

Maybe I will actually see you @ the 10K on Saturday. Hoping they stick me in the first corral for that one. I am going ALL OUT!

catmarlson said...

You are definitely a blue bib now. No question about that.
I have a feeling that you would have a better chance seeing me at the finish line. You will have time to catch your breath before I get there.