Saturday, April 28, 2012

Odd Week

Monday started off with a morning swim. Then I decided I was looking pretty tired at the end of the day. So I decided to take the evening off.

Tuesday morning I sleep in (6:45 rather than 4:50AM wakeup). Midday our friend Bob posts that he's got extra tickets to Game 6 of the Devils vs Panthers hockey game. I send him a note saying of nobody else asks. I'd love to go, even tho' I had a 2 hour run scheduled. Turns out I get to go to the game, which was great. It went into overtime and the Devils won it about 5 or 6 minutes in. Fantastic!
Fortunately, I don't have to drive to these games. The train I take stops a couple blocks from the arena. I got home just after midnight.

Waking up for a morning swim was out of the question. Looking at the weather, it looked like tonight was going to be the best night for me to run. (It was going to get colder as the week went on). I got myself out the door quickly once I got home. I figured 1:15:00 or 2 hours. We will see how it goes.
Well my legs felt tight from step one. The first hour wasn't so bad. Really great night to be running. I stopped at the house. Got a drink, switched shirts, put on reflective vest, back out the door. 5 minutes from the house, I realized I didn't grab a GU or anything. Well, I'll know by mile 2 if I've got another hour in me.
I had to stop and walk 40 steps a few times during the second hour, which probably saved myself from tweaking something. It wasn't an amazing 2 hours but I got it done.

Thursday I decided to rest again. 2 hour runs are still a big deal for me and I'm trying to make sure I don't injure myself at this point.

Friday morning I forgot to move my alarm across the room. I hit snooze 4 times before I realized I've been doing it. So much for the morning swim... Genine ran after work then we both went to the pool. I could use the late train as a reason why I didn't run but it was more that I was curious to see how my long Saturday bike would feel well rested. It was a short swim Friday night. 1950m.

Saturday Long bike. I loaded the race wheels into the car. On the way over, I went back and forth as to what I was going to do. Initially, I thought it would be cool to start with my regular wheels. Then switch to the Hed3's for the 2nd and 3rd lap. But swapping out the brake pads takes a few minutes. So I just put them on to start with and did the entire ride with them. The first lap I played it pretty safe. The braking on this set of wheels is just goofy enough that I've got to build up my confidence in how it feels. The 2nd and 3rd hour went well. Although my left foot felt completely out of place. I felt like I was pedaling on the outside of my foot. I hadn't noticed this the last few weeks. I thought it might go away but it never did. I've got to take a look at my cleat position again. I didn't feel balanced at all today. Oh to have a proper bike fit! I may have to go in again to have someone offer some suggestions. I'm worried that it's bad enough that I'm going to injure that left leg.

The good news of the day was that the bike chain I installed didn't break.

The purchase of the day was calve compression sleeves. My long runs really beat me up. I finally decided I should give them a try. I'll be thrilled if they help. I couldn't help but think about the NYC marathon after my 2 hour run. I was thinking, 2 more hours after this. I'm not sure how that's going to happen. Fortunately, I've got a few months to work on that.

4 mile race in the morning. Biking 50 miles today isn't going to help that finish time. You never know tho. I'll wait to see how I feel in the morning.

No comments: