Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Matt's Race Report Timberman 2011

Go to this post to read about my dealing with shingles and my training for the last 4 weeks.

Night before the race: I just can’t fall asleep and when I do, I’m sleeping so lightly that every bump is waking me up. That was annoying.

We wake up in the middle of the night to drive to the park. I recline the seat and fall asleep. Which was a huge bonus for me. I probably didn’t wake up quite soon enough to really get through all my pre-race stuff very well. I felt a bit rushed and I had forgotten a few things. I guess the fact that I had extra things on the list. I was trying to decide how/where to keep camera stuff so that I could switch to photographer mode if I’m unable to finish the race. Or if I finish ahead of Genine, I can get some pictures of her finish.

Swim: We were not at the water early enough to get a warmup swim. My fault for sleeping too long. I prefer a warm up I if I can get one.

I really didn’t know where to line up for this start. I had a feeling I would start out strong but would lose power mid-swim and be pretty average from there on out. Of course if my shoulder hurts from that fall, then it’s going to be ugly from start to finish.

I decide middle of the pack to the right side. Starting on the right kept me corralled in so I didn’t drift left but it was a bit of a brawl in terms of contact. I was watching very carefully in front of me to avoid being kicked in the face. When I would slow to avoid the feet, I would be climbed over from behind. I need to get back into swim shape so I can get up on the front line, that was a mess.

Eventually everything settled. Water clarity was excellent and my goggles never fogged. I drafted off of at least 3 different people for a considerable time. Unfortunately, it was 3 people because as I lost power, I was dropped. I didn’t allow this to frustrate me. I knew it was going to be a tough go. The funny thing is, I actually enjoyed this swim much more than my Mooseman swim even tho’ I was considerably slower than my time 2 years ago.

Finished 1.2 miles in 38:53

Wetsuit strippers: My advice is to always go to an adult. Or to someone you may have seen just successfully remove another’s wetsuit. To not have it done right is a waste of time. The guy that pulled my wetsuit from me had it off so quickly, I’m surprised the momentum of the suit didn’t carry him out into transition. (would probably make for some funny high speed camera / slo-mo videos)

Bike: Alright, here we go. 4 weeks ago, I biked this course in 95+ degree heat and humidity and it was great. It’s in the 70’s but warming up today. Should be a great morning to ride.

I head out of the park. There is a long easy incline to start the ride. I was in the 8th swim wave of 17 waves. So there is going to be plenty of action out on the course and it started right away. I didn’t even reach the top of the first hill and the woman that had passed me like I was standing still a moment ago is down on the pavement with 3 other bikers. I ended up riding through the middle of the 4 of them. Wasn’t what I wanted to do but given the other bikers and cars beside me and behind me, it was the safest route.

Once I was passed that, I got my HR watch moved around so I could see how my HR was doing. High 150’s to 160. Umm. Higher that I expected it to be. I focused on my 90 RPM and finding a comfortable gear. When I got to the big hill, I was thinking about how well I climbed this a month ago. Then just sat back and eased my way up. The downhill after that climb is the safest “bomb the downhill” on the course. I didn’t push it tho’. I really wanted to keep out of the way for the people that were really ready to race today. So if there was a pass to be made and someone was somewhat close to passing me. I’d hit the brakes and wait.

As I made the left onto the connecting road to 107, the super fast girl passed me again and she kept looking at her left elbow, which had a good bit of road rash on it.

Then I saw a woman off her bike, I slowed to ask if she needed help. I guess she wasn’t ready for someone to offer help because I was by her before she responded and I had slowed wayyyy down, expecting to stop. (Channeling Craig’s goodwill here). She said something about her chain dropping to the inside. That sounds like an easy fix, so I didn’t feel too badly for not stopping.

I completely forgot that the first aid station was right after getting onto 107. I didn’t stop for anything.

On to the climb up 107, I was feeling good but stayed right more often than I should have, again to keep out of the way of the speedsters.

The connecting roads to 106 are some good roller hills. Not having to stop for the stop sign makes it a much easier ride because you can carry your momentum.

Then finally onto 106, the first (mile?) has some sketchy pavement but there was very little traffic, so it was very simple to avoid. It just required riding further out into the road than what is necessary for the majority of 106.

Before I knew it, there was the 2nd aid station. I’m not sure why (too many others already there? Or too short of a zone?) but I decided I was going to swing wide of this aid station.

It was probably just after this that I started to wonder if I was going to catch up with Genine today. She had a 10 minute lead with her swim wave. I expected she would open up another 3-5 minutes on my swim time. So I had to make up 15 minutes over 56 miles. 4 weeks ago, no problem. Today, I was thinking it was going to take the majority of the 56 miles. Which could be cool. Maybe we could run together!

I was thinking I had 2 things really going well for me on the outbound stretch of 106. First I was surprised at how well I was staying in aero. Second, I had been eating, taking in electrolyte capsules and drinking water and my stomach felt very agreeable. That was until I ran out of water. Which meant I had consumed 35oz or so and I wasn’t too far from the turn around, so really not a big deal.

I had started to watch the inbound bikers trying to spot Genine. If we are going to cross paths, it should happen soon. Sure enough, as I was approaching the turn off of 106 at the far end before the turn around, there was a bunch of traffic. Yet Genine spotted me and started cheering for me. I shouted back (she didn’t hear me). It could be because I was approaching my 2nd bike crash of the day. Right at that turn off. It must have been a bad one. There were ambulances, never a good sign. I kept my eyes on the turn and got by without a problem.

I’ll admit I went back to thinking about Genine almost immediately. The fact that I hadn’t caught up with her by the turn around meant that she was way ahead of her expectations. I knew she wasn’t going to be on the bike for 3:30-3:45. I even got a little choked up thinking about how psyched she was going to be with her ride time.

I then went back to thinking about when I was going to catch her. I didn’t think to look at my watch to see how many minutes behind I was from when she yelled at me. Not that it mattered, I’m not going to push any harder than I already am.

I get to the aid station at the turn around. I slow down enough to make sure I get all of the water into my speedfil. Then toss the bottle before leaving the zone. Back onto 106 inbound, first thing is a pretty rough bump on/near the bridge. I wonder how many people flatted out right there. I wonder if they should have had bike support set up shop right there. Made me think about my choice of not riding the HED 3 tubulars today. (I didn’t ride them because I couldn’t imagine having that kind of gear with the slow bike split I was going to turn in today, stupid? Maybe.) Anyhow, I’d have been bummed to have to deal with a tubular change this year, I feel like I’ve had enough troubles already.

So I’m on the way back, things are looking good. The only thing that’s starting to bug me are my shoulders from being in areo for so long. Not a big deal tho’. Then a light blue jersey goes flying by me. That would be Chad from team Ballou Skies passing me like I’m standing still. Seriously. No chance of saying hey as he went by.

Then I got to a place where some people were not staying to the right and I was really concerned about passing them safely. They weren’t even holding their line well. I checked over my shoulder and saw that I had time to make the pass but more speed was approaching. So I put a bit of a burst into my pass and as I was doing that, the insides of both quads got so so close to cramping up really badly on me. That, has never happened to me on the bike. Calf cramps I expect, this was not a good sign. I had to really reduce my effort immediately. So the people I just passed were going to go right back by me. As they went by they asked if I was okay. I assured them I was fine, just leg cramps. I checked the mileage. 37. 19 to go.

Alright, this is not a lack of electrolyte. This is because I’ve obviously pushed myself too hard after doing nearly nothing for 4 weeks. I have a few more “easy” miles on 106. Maybe this isn’t such a big deal, I just have to keep an easy effort and I’ll be alright.

I’m being passed by so many people, that I just put myself as far right on the pavement as I can. Eventually, I reach the juke off of 106 that when it turns back towards 106 has a short climb but it’s steep. I am very concerned about how this is going to turn out. (I now really wish I would have swapped to my 12-26 cassette).

I tried to move as slowly and evenly up that hill as I could. My quads were ready to lock up at any given moment under this effort. (I really didn’t want to be lying on the road clipped onto my bike with my legs cramped up). I was thrilled when I made it but I knew there were more hills on the way.

Finally off of 106, the rollers back to 107…. Yeah, I was pedaling so cautiously. Oddly enough there was someone right on my back wheel on that climb. My legs were going to go at any second. I called out “I’m going to stop!”. The guy said “thanks for the warning”, as I successfully clipped out and just stood. Then I decided I’d walk the bike to the top of the hill. There was no way I was going to be able to start on an incline. When I reached the top. I leaned on my bike and watched for an opening to try and get rolling again. So many people asked if everything was alright.

Finally, I see a gap and I hop onto my bike and give it a go. I manage to get to 107. Now this can be a very fast downhill but the pavement isn’t great and there are turns, so you can’t be certain you’ve got a clear roadway. This is where I see accident #3 and a person is on a stretcher. Oh man. I’m having a bad day but this puts it into perspective. I sit up in the saddle completely and focus on just making it down safely.

Now to climb back over to Rt 11, I just went really easy. The pavement here is not so good, I rolled though a bunch of it because I didn’t want to be on the better pavement moving so slowly.

One big climb left. Again super easy effort, but it’s a long climb and I finally had to get off and stand to keep my quads from locking up. Not much room here, so I stepped off the road with my bike and watched people roll by again. Eventually I watched for a gap to jump back in.

When I made it to the top, I knew I should be able to manage the rest of the way back in. Starting with the big downhill, but again, it’s not the safest place to fly, it ends in a no passing zone for bikers.

2 more turns and I’m rolling along the road to the entrance to the park. I know I’m not even going to try and run. If I allow my legs to actually cramp as hard as they are wanting to right now. It would take days for them to feel better again. I’d rather go get some pictures of Genine racing. So I look at my watch. I realize I might have a chance to get a picture of Chrissie finishing her race, it’s going to be soon tho’. I say to the woman ahead of me that if we hurry, we can make it onto the run course before Chrissie finishes her run. She laughs and said something back. Then as I got to the next incline, she passes me back and says “come on, we can do this”. I told her this is everything I’ve got and wished her luck.

I went into transition. Handed my chip to the person there. They asked if I needed to get my stuff out of transition. I said there was no need.

BIKE: 18.05mph on the way out, 16.8mph on the way back. 3:13:15 total time. 17.39mph Avg.


I racked my bike. Went back to the car. Grabbed my camera and went into photographer mode. Unfortunately by the time I made it over to the finish line. I think all the pros were in.

I then realized I had better call Genine’s family to tell them that Genine was going to be finishing much earlier than what she had told them. (almost an hour faster). I also called and texted friends/family to let them know I wasn’t going to run. So they didn’t have to worry about me.

Typically I take photos of almost everyone when I’m at a race. Well, today I was a little tired. I took some practice shots shortly before I figured Genine would be finishing her first lap. I also took some pictures for people standing around me that were only going to get a photo using their cell phone. (I hope they remember how to find my flickr site).

Genine came running in finishing her first lap right about when I thought she would. She was looking good. I’m going to let Genine cover the details of her race in her own report which will be posted here soon. Her post will have the pictures I took of her.

I’m glad that I tried to race. This was the A race after all. I would have always been wondering what I had in me if I decided to just photograph Genine’s day instead. Obviously my race wasn’t anything special but I was having fun up until mile 37 of the bike. Sometimes you have to take what you can get and be happy with it.

No comments: