Saturday, October 9, 2010

Twin cities report

Here is my brief race synopsis-
Pretty chilly to start 40 degrees, beautiful morning and race course. Started out running right where I wanted at about 7:40 per mile. I lost an extra minute and a half for a bathroom break in the first half marathon. Felt pretty good up until about 20 miles. After that I was having some stomach issues and right achilles cramping. The achilles was a new and unexpected race day happening. So I mixed walking and running from 20-25 hitting splits of around 9:25 to 10:45. At 25 miles, I knew I could grit it out the rest of the way and still be easily under 3:40. So I ran 8:49 the last mile and 1:28 for the last 2 tenths. I finished in 3:36:24 which was by best in about 5 years, so I was very pleased. 1,463 out of 8212.

5K 23:23, 10K 47:08, 13.1 1:41:51 , 30K 2:23:42 , 20M 2:34:21

8:16 per mile (view kilometer pace) 5:08 per kilometer (view mile pace)
1463 out of 8212
1205 out of 4818 Males
164 out of 698 Males in the M4044 Age Group

In related news,.... I lost a toenail Wednesday as a result of the marathon. Not an uncommon occurrence for me. So I called a podiatrist to get this thing done permanently. Friday morning I had the minor outpatient surgery on the toe so that nail will never come back. I'll spare you the pictures, and just say it was an interesting experience.

3 comments:

GC said...

Way to hang tough, Jim! Very impressive! Congrats! Hopefully no lasting ill effects on the achilles.

I have to say that the toenail removal makes me a bit squeamish...yet curious. I have 2 toenails that tend to come loose and eventually they come off, but I'm not so sure I would want them gone permanently. How is that feeling for you know?

Jim said...

Thanks. The first day/evening was rough. Now after day 1, it doesn't hurt much, it is just a little creepy. FYI- it is only 2 days after having it done and I ran 3 and biked 10 with no problems. I'm excited to not have to deal with the problems that it has given me over the years.

catmarlson said...

Your result was still faster than what my goal 1:40:00 was going to be for NYC this year.
I'm surprised you didn't brag a bit about your race day weight!! That was an impressive run of discipline you've put together this year.

So what's next? Any chance you throw your name in the NYC lottery to run with me next year?